• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sellabell's Necropsy Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaoskat

I got his results back today. He died a horrible painful death it turns out. I knew he was hurting but I had no clue how much. He had Staphylococcus aureus (a staph infection). It destroyed his major internal organs (liver, lungs, heart, kidneys, and spleen, were the ones listed on the report that had damage). I read the report and kept asking myself how and how did it affect 3 piggies. Most commonly staph is a result of bumblefoot which none of them had. Ok so we move on to the usual predispoing factors; obesity (Cyan was a bit overweight but not significantly, Morde was a normal healthy weight, and Bell was underweight), wire flooring (nope), poor sanitation (unlikely; they are cleaned every week at least an never even smell before I clean them and Cyan was an EXTREMELY clean pig, only ever pooing or peeing in one corner), and trauma (nope). Ok I know how the bacteria gets in, it goes in through a cut, get into the blood stream, quickly spreads to the organs and kills them. I never saw any injuries or wounds but it could have just been tiny little papercuttish wound or a nail clipped to short or a hay poke, a bitten tongue or cheek and eating a veggie of the cage floor. Ok so I had a possible entry but still couldn't figure out how the bacteria got here because I stand by my opinion their cages aren't unsanitary. So I talked to a friend and my fiance who both agreed that wasn't it. My fiance started asking about outside things that were brought in that could be carrying it and my friend started a web search on the bacteria. My fiance mentioned the water because we've been having real issues with our water lately (we've always had issues but it's gotten worse since Hurricane Wilma last October). So I asked my friend if she'd found whether it's transmitted in water. It is, in fact it's very commonly transmitted through local treated water supplies. So we solved the mystery. My vet finally called back as I was typing this and he agrees that it was most likely through the water and confirmed that he is almost possitive that's what Morde and Cyan died from too. They are all being switched to bottled water as soon as I go to the store today. I've taken all their water away already. I know, not great but it's only for about 2 hours and its better to be a little thirsty than die from staph. I'm so angry right now. We keep calling about our water (we have been under boil water orders so many times I can't count in the last year and we never know about them until the are over and the last few months our water has run brown a few times, not brown=dingy, brown=mixed with equal parts cola, for several hours or even all day. A few weeks ago it reeked of chlorine for about 2 weeks or more) and they keep saying it's fine they are just "flushing the system" and "it won't hurt us". Now I discover it has killed 3 of my babies and I find myself wondering how exactly that's safe.

-kkat

amillar

Reaction score
How very sad to lose your pigs in this way :'( at least now you know and can prevent any further suffering.

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
How very sad Kat. I do hope you're doing well. It can't have been easy my love.

Thoughts and love are with you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.