• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shavings ok, just for a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are desperate for them to be kept on fleece you could always hire a petsitter to come to your home to deal with your piggies, if you have more than two this may even be a more cost effective way of providing for them whilst you are away, but i would not expect them to do your washing for you. the boarding place may also do this for you if you ask nicely and don't mind coming home to a bad of dirty bedding? maybe fingers crossed

Last edited:
Shavings won't hurt your guinea pig at all unless there is already something wrong with their feet. I recommend soft wood shavings.

Well thats not strictly true, if they are unused to shavings they could have respiratory problems or allergic reactions, i think the megazorb idea is the best way to go... i personally have my guinea pigs on shavings at the moment (due to the fact i live with my nana and it is her preference) but as soon as i move house and I'm the one in charge of the washing etc, i will be building a larger C+C cage and switching to fleece and towelling... Bonnie(kingboris) is right, if you are paying them for a service it is thier duty to provide you with a care as close as possible to your existing regime. The customer is always right after all!

^^ Everyone says that rolleyes

My guinea pigs have lived with them so I'm happy :)

Thanks for all your responses everyone - oops, I didn't mean to re-ignite the age old shavings arguement :( my concern is whether the change would cause an issue, respiratory problems for example.
I think perhaps the megazorb idea is the way forward as it would be convenient for the boarding place AND would set my mind at rest. The petsitting idea is also a good one - when I'm away for a weekend my sister often pops in each night to feed/fuss the pigs, but i'm going on holiday with her so that won't work :)) She is a zookeeper so I trust her 100% too, she knows what is best for them.
But as sister-pet-sitting isn't an option this time I think I'd rather have my piggies in a home where I know there will be activity all day to keep them company. The boarding place is very friendly, I'm sure the lady won't mind the suggestion of megazorb at all, but I wouldn't want to burden her with the amount of dirty fleeces and towels m boys get through. She has looked after my boys before when they were young and sadly Rufus had a nasty scab/sore from bad mites - she was absolutely fine with still takng him and doing his special treatement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back