• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Shelling a boiled egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
I can't seem to shell a boiled egg without losing part of the white. I never used to have a problem. It's very frustrating. I just wondered if any one else has this problem or has any tips on how to get the shell off cleanly.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Will try that next time, thanks Stacey. I commented on your facebook, we are going to Egypt in March, staying in the Grand Tropicana Azure in Sharm. Did you measure your cage to see if that hidey will fit?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
I usually drench the eggs in cold water and give them a little tap with a spoon to break the shell (so easy to remove) and also to stop discolouration

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Will try that next time, thanks Stacey. I commented on your facebook, we are going to Egypt in March, staying in the Grand Tropicana Azure in Sharm. Did you measure your cage to see if that hidey will fit?
Hiya hun
March is a lovely time to go Egypt, very hot during the day :)
I hope you enjoy it. I cant wait to go. I noticed ** comment come through on my mobile -c
Not measured the cage, totally forgot but will do it tonight. Thanks hun x

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Another good way to do it, if you have tea spoons with rounded ends on the handle. Makes it a lot easier :) My mum taught me that one ;) :)) You just crack the shell then peel it off with the handle of the tea spoon.

Last edited:
I find this happens when I take the egg out a wee bit too early. I also put them under cold water first :)

Sandra just saw your comment about egypt and the hotel I am thinking about booking that one for July :))

what i normally do is once the egg is done,tip the boiled water out of the saucepan,and fill it with cold watch(helps not to burn your hands too!)then tap the egg all over with the side of the saucepan,then peel away,theres an inner skin inside the shell,and it helps just to peel that then it should come way fine xx

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
I find this happens when I take the egg out a wee bit too early. I also put them under cold water first :)

Sandra just saw your comment about egypt and the hotel I am thinking about booking that one for July :))
A lady from Jim's work is just back from there and she says it's out of this world. I don't think you will be disappointed if you book for that hotel.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
what i normally do is once the egg is done,tip the boiled water out of the saucepan,and fill it with cold watch(helps not to burn your hands too!)then tap the egg all over with the side of the saucepan,then peel away,theres an inner skin inside the shell,and it helps just to peel that then it should come way fine xx
That's what I do, I just can't seem to get below that inner skin lol. I am even getting the more expensive eggs now, the free range ones. Maybe I'm not waiting until they are really cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.