• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I adopt mum's fish...

Oh no, how horrible!
I'm ashamed to say I had a goldfish as a child, in a bowl, he didn't live for very long surprisingly! Poor goldie :(

We had a goldfish when I was a child...a long time ago! My mum and dad looked after it very well and it lived in an old conservatory. One winter we had in the early 70’s it was very cold and the fish tank froze solid with the poor fish inside. We were all so upset, after that we bought another tank, had it inside with a heater...still feel bad to this day!

I once had a glass fish bowl with 3 fish living inside. I accidentally smashed the bowl :( We managed to catch the fish and put them in a bucket but sadly, they didn't survive the night :( Another rime, I put all new fish in to a new tank but there must have been something wrong with the water as they were all dead the following morning :( I still feel bad about them incidents

Hope your mum's doing well in hospital @PigglePuggle? x

Sorry if pinched half your thread, I'm a bit of a crazy fish person when I get going and a fish welfare fanatic!

Mum says I can't have the fish and they can't have a new tank... but she's been having some physio today and can walk a bit without needing an oxygen mask so she might be home later this week...

Glad to hear your mum is doing well, perhaps the fish are her saviours on bad days. The best thing for now would be to support her in providing the best care possible.

I remember when we were younger my brother's best friend won a goldfish at the school fair. It lived many years and then his friend was emigrating with his parents to Malta. So we took on the fish. It live many more years and on getting large we got a bigger bowl. It then grew larger in that bigger bowl until my brother was ready to go to uni when my mum finally said he had to go to my aunties pond. I have no idea whether it was a he or she but we always referred to him as a he. The year after he moved into the pond my aunt said she had 100s of babies! I like to think that after 12-14 years alone in a bowl he had an awesome, fun-filled year :))

Back