• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I get another guinea pig? Advice needed!

Laurenalexa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guys.. I need some serious advice. I got my first guinea pig Bean 5 months ago. Researched a lot and gave him a big cage, he loved it, I got him a friend Chewy they bonded right away. It was going really good. Unfortunately... we all know pet stores don’t take great care of the animals. Chewy had ringworm and I purchased him sick. Took him to the vet spent 200 dollars trying to heal him. He wasn’t getting better. We all know how ringworm makes you clean everything over and over and over again. Bean had a tiny bit on his ear from Chewy, but he healed fast with the medicine I had. Chewy kept getting wore, not eating, sitting all puffed up. Eventually I took Chewy back to the pet store because I didn’t want him to die. I ended up buying Klaus shortly after. Bean and klaus started fighting immediately when I introduced them. After a while they settled down but it was never like the bond Bean had with Chewy, they had personality differences that clashed. Both think they are dominant where as Chewy was submissive. So Bean and Klaus never got along great, but they would still run and chase each other and occasionally sleep together. I was living at school, so they’re cage was huge they had plenty of room. They would teeth chatter and sometimes lung at each other but never caused blood or bit one another. I was stupid and wanted a third so I got Thor. Thor lasted one night because they both liked Thor, but then klaus and bean began fighting even more. (I know you’re gonna say I ruined the bond by introducing a third, I know, I regret it, but they never really got along to begin with)). I took Thor back the next morning. After I graduated... I moved home where my dad built a big cage for Bean and Klaus. They were getting along I thought for a few weeks but the teeth chattering increased for sure. I guess cause their cage at school was a bit bigger than the one my dad built. Came home one day to see klaus all bloody, bean finally had enough of klaus taunting and constantly peeing on him so I guess bean attacked. I was devastated. Took klaus to the vet, gave me antibiotics, luckily his eye wasn’t as bad as I thought. His eye infection healed in 2 weeks from antibiotics. Me and my dad went through A LOT- had to get rid of the cage he built, and build a whole new one with a divider in the middle so klaus and bean can still sniff and see one another through the gate but not touch or fight. This makes me really sad because it’s a BIG cage, but with the divider down the middle, gives them both less room than they’ve ever had.. makes me so sad. Klaus is a sweet little brat he has adjusted fine. Always is wheeking for food and sometimes runs around and popcorns after I pet him and hold him, and let him run around my room for a bit. He eats everything like a dump truck. Bean on the other hand... doesn’t eat as many veggies anymore, is more scared and skittish, and just isn’t as vibrant and happy as he was. This breaks my heart. I think klaus is fine with the separation and it’s enough for him. I don’t think it is for bean. I went to get bean a buddy so he doesn’t feel so alone and scared and overall happier. A problem I have with klaus though is he continues to chew the wire of the cage I think because he’s bored and doesn’t have enough enrichment? Even though I give him toys and chews, it’s probably the space. They went from having a lot of room to less room. This has been really difficult for me. I want my pets to be happy and this is really really difficult. Pet stores don’t tell you these issues with male Guinea pig. Klaus and bean are in my room and klaus keeps me up at night chewing the wire it’s horrible. Can’t keep them in the living room cause I still live home with my parents. Want to move out in the next 6 months hopefully and get them a new cage even though it’s gonna be so expensive and my dad basically built this new c&c cage... should I get bean a friend? What do I do? Klaus won’t stop chewing the wire it’s horrible -_-

But yeah I’m concerned for Beans happiness because Klaus seems fine with the separation but I know that bean wants a friend to run around and cuddle with.

Bean will barely eat any veggies he used to love cause he doesn’t have that competition with another pig anymore. I love them to death but they drive me crazy. Who knew it’s so hard to keep male guinea pigs happy. Maybe if I get a third for beans side of the cage it will enrich both his life and Klaus somehow?

And I miss when bean and chewy would run around the floor during floor time and have so much fun. Now If I try for bean and klaus to have floor time together I run the risk of them hurting each other. They just start getting dominant and klaus tries to pee on bean it’s horrible. They don’t even have fun. I think klaus prefers being alone. I think bean prefers a friend like a normal guinea pig.

ALSO klaus won’t stop chewing the cage bars so I can’t sleep every single night it drives me insane. He’s not happy because it’s a sign of he needs more room or is bored but it’s getting really bad cause I’m not happy cause I can’t sleep. Bean is good and doesn’t do any of that. Klaus is really a troublesome pig

Back