• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I get my pig a friend?

Aidenozz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm very new to owning guinea pigs and although i asked many questions at the pet store when I purchased my first pig, I have gotten the feeling they were more interested in making a sale then insuring the pig would have a good life. (For example I was told my guinea pig would be fine living in a glass aquarium but as it turns out from just a moment of research it was terrible for his lungs so i transferred him to a cage right away) I've had him for a little over a month now and he is still very frightened of me and anti social, he hides when ever i am near and refuses to eat veggies from my hand, which I understand is normal and have read that it can take months for them to trust you but still is a little discouraging. I know he is a herd animal and needs companionship so i worry he is very lonely and depressed since he won't interact with me. Often times recently I am awoken in the morning by him crying/wheeking, he always has food/hay/water so i can only assume its out of loneliness as i don't know what else he could be asking for but another pig. (I also provide him with fresh veggies/peppers rich with vit c daily so i know he's not deficient, he also has blocks to chew/ricepops which he adores). I feel like I should get another pig to add to his herd so he won't be so lonely but i'm worried i don't have enough space to add a second one. Will he be happier with a friend but more cramped living conditions? (his cage is 30x20 and is all i have room for/can afford at the moment) or should I keep him by himself and just continue to try and give him as much attention as I can?

as you mentioned , guinea pigs are herd animals, and depend on the safety of the herd. in my experience, guinea pigs that are alone are typically more skittish than ones with buddies.you can buy a playpen and give them lots of playtime until you can get a new cage. just be careful, as boars are typically more territorial than sows.try to introduce them slowly. you can read the bonding guides on the forum. Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

It’s good that your thinking about trying to make your piggy happier and changing things as you find them 👍🏻

For me, if he’s found his voice to wheek in the mornings that would suggest he’s feeling fairly safe and secure :). A scared guinea pig would lay low and not draw attention like that. When you get to his cage, has he eaten all his veg? Most often wheeking is a summons for a human slave to bring something tasty 😋😀. I’d caution against giving him too many rice pops, though, as from what I’ve read whilst they’re advertised as being suitable for piggies they’re really not very healthy (think the GP version of pizza & donughts 😮).

My guess is that your instincts are good that he’d really like a piggy buddy to hang out with...

Welcome to the forum
You are quite right in thinking that your piggy needs a companion.
You have some options.
If you live near a rescue that offers boar dating that would ensure he has s compatible companion.
Another option is neutering and then after a 6 week wait he can live with sows.
You sound like a good piggy owner and he’s a lucky boy to be with you.

It does take time to settle a new piggy- they are prey animals so their default position is “You’re going to eat me.”

I talk to mine constantly, offer food from my hand, try to take things at their pace and respect each individual character.
I’m still working on settling a young piggy in - she’s very shy and skittish. Although she lives with 3 older and more confident piggies she’s still nervous but after a month here is slowly beginning to be less shy.

Do let us see pics of your boy and let us know how things go with finding a companion

Is that 30x20 inches? If so I think it would be too small to add another piggy so I would try to look at ways to expand the living area before getting another.

Back