• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I let him go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For those of you that are interested Ive posted the last couple of days about the two runts I am trying to hand rear.

Its day 6 and they are still alive, my little white trembly one has stopped trembling and although still looks a bit gnarly is growing in strength and character. His little legs are a blur as he runs to me everytime i open the cage.

My little boy with the poorly foot however is not doing so good and has been refusing food. I bought a tiny feeding bottle with a teat, lactol and complan. Ive also bought some good quality seeded brown bread. I managed to persuade him to take a little milk but he really doesnt want to. Ive just checked him and Ive noticed his poorly leg has changed. The foot had broken away a few days ago and I was unconcerned as it was calcified. This evening however more of his leg is showing, it seems to have come down through the pouch of skin his leg was covered in and it is also black. The fur around the leg is wet and slightly brown in colour. I think it has become infected. Apart from the guilt I am again feeling....is more of the leg showing due to me handling him although I do handle him so gently, maybe I didnt for a second? I am worried he is in pain and thats why he isnt eating? Is it gangrene?

Ive accepted that nature had never intended for him to live and after 6 days of nursing I am devestated, so now do I stop trying to feed him and wait? I dont think he is old enough or strong enough to survive amputation. He was the strongest one of the two. I suppose there may well be other problems that I cannot see as I'm sure if as he has a deformed leg and a blind eye there is probably more. I just dont want him to die hungry. Is it cruel to keep trying to get him to eat?

oh god hon, it sounds traumatic, i dont know the answer but i wanted to say it sounds like you have done a great job of trying to give this little fella a chance, dont be hard on yourself.

Thinking of you x x>>

I'm sorry :( huge hugs for you, i would take him to the vet and have him pts, i think it would be kinder to him, unless the vet can help him heal and grow?

I think youre right, I am working again tomorrow and dont want to take him with me away from his mum, she is still cleaning him and letting him snuggle. I am wondering if he will benefit more from the comfort and warmth of mum more than me keeping him warm with hot water bottles and trying to make him eat. I really wanted him to live, perhaps infection is what has put him off his food. Would it be better to let him slip away with mum if she doesnt reject him? I dont want him to be scared and alone at the vets.

It sounds as though the leg has become necrotic - basically, the lack of blood supply causes the surrounding tissue to die. You really cannot leave this little fella to suffer any more.
Vet intervention is the only option now, sorry you have had such hard times as this is the second litter with runts you've had I see :(

It sounds as though the leg has become necrotic - basically, the lack of blood supply causes the surrounding tissue to die. You really cannot leave this little fella to suffer any more.
Vet intervention is the only option now, sorry you have had such hard times as this is the second litter with runts you've had I see :(

Yes, the first litter came from an unwanted pregnant mummy pig my son was given. This litter came from two we have since bought. The whole situation has been unbearable and dad is booked in to be neutered on Monday. I love my piggies and spend hours with them, but no more babies, both experiences have been emotionally draining.

I think you should take comfort from the fact you have done everything possible to give him a chance. He has been lucky to have you. Unfortunately sometimes nature is cruel and it sounds like this little fella might be happier at rest. Big hugs to you. :). Personally I think he's probably been through enough and if the end is near for him then it might be kinder to get it over with and get him pts. Perhaps take a teddy smelling of mum for comfort? My thoughts are with you x

I can't give you any advice but please don't feel guilty, you've done what you can to give him the best chance, you should be proud that you've made his 6 days thus far as comfortable as possible, thinking of you xox

Sorry your having to make such a difficult decision after fighting so hard for the little feller. I agree with the last few people that the leg is going bad and I don't think he'll come back from this. The kindest thing would be to have him pts. Thinking of you at this dreadful time. xx

Does anyone know how a teeny tiny piggy is put to sleep?

I'm not going to walk out of the surgery until he is asleep. If I leave him with them they may decide to just let him die of his own accord. I will stay with him and look a total fool, because I know I will cry. Surely something so small cannot be injected?

It's amazing how much love you can feel for your pets, they really affect your life, please don't worry about looking a fool, the world needs more people like you that care so much when animals need our help xox

Does anyone know how a teeny tiny piggy is put to sleep?

I'm not going to walk out of the surgery until he is asleep. If I leave him with them they may decide to just let him die of his own accord. I will stay with him and look a total fool, because I know I will cry. Surely something so small cannot be injected?

In small furries gas is used to make them go to sleep this is followed by an injection into the heart to stop it. No pain is felt.

I am so very sorry & you'll not look a fool, i bet everyone (or almost everyone) on this forum has cried at the vets. :(

My little man fell asleep at 4.20am this morning, so no more suffering and no traumatic visit (for him and me) to the vet today. I had him cupped in my hands as mum had finally rejected him. I think his bigger siblings kept knocking him over and trampling over him so held him for over an hour until he passed.

Now the other one has stopped feeding, I'm hoping he has started taking from mum and doesnt need my help, but I dont think so.

Guinea pigs - so much joy and so much pain.

oh hun so sorry to hear this but at least the little fella can run free with no pain now I just hope the second one is improving

oh hun I'm sorry :( poor little guy at least he isnt suffering anymore.

hugs to you xx

I'm so sorry for your loss of your poor little guy.
RIP precious baby. Run free x

oh no, so sorry to read this, but at least he wont suffer any pain now, rip little angel, you will be fine at the bridge x

sending vibes for the other one xxxxxx

Please dont feel so bad you have done all you could and more x

i agree too, so much joy but heartbreaking x>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back