• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should i separate?

AlexandraDesi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This is going to be long so bare with me because you need all the details. I have two guineas liko and coal who I have had for 4 months now. About a week and a half ago I introduced liko and coal to new guinea pigs and liko got very aggressive so I gave them away to a forever home and realized liko is too dominant and territorial to ever have anyone else besides his brother. But after this introduction liko has not returned back to normal. He is 10 times more aggressive than he was prior to me introducing him to other pigs. He's now what I can only presume biting his brother coal. About 2-7 times in a 24 hour span. Coal is a very quiet guinea. He doesn't even wheek for food. He hardly makes any noise ever. So to hear him yelp out in pain is horrible because I know whatever happened had to really bother him. Theres no blood and I dont think there's any marks. Ive never seen liko do it because when I'm with them liko usually is focused on me and is really happy. It usually happens at night not when veggies are given. Also noted that one time I did witness liko being aggressive. This was actually before the other guinea pigs being introduced and then taken away. He chased coal around while teeth chattering for about 15 minutes and then I saw him lunge towards coal for no reason and that's when I temporarily separated them. Coal flailed backwards frantically. It was a one time thing but as I said likos aggression has worsen so I'm not sure when I hear the yelping from coal if liko is lunging and nipping or if he's simply nipping him. Coal is extremely docile and friendly this should be noted because coal is NOT a trouble starter. He is the least mischevious guinea pig I've ever seen. And the nicest one too. They have 16th sq foot so its not because a small cage. What do you reccommend what are some bonding things I can do and how can I reverse the amped aggression that liko has ever since meeting other guinea pigs?

Hello, welcome to the forum

I am tagging in @Wiebke for you, it sounds like you upset the bond by trying to introduce a new piggy. Frr the time being please separate before Coal is hurt

This is going to be long so bare with me because you need all the details. I have two guineas liko and coal who I have had for 4 months now. About a week and a half ago I introduced liko and coal to new guinea pigs and liko got very aggressive so I gave them away to a forever home and realized liko is too dominant and territorial to ever have anyone else besides his brother. But after this introduction liko has not returned back to normal. He is 10 times more aggressive than he was prior to me introducing him to other pigs. He's now what I can only presume biting his brother coal. About 2-7 times in a 24 hour span. Coal is a very quiet guinea. He doesn't even wheek for food. He hardly makes any noise ever. So to hear him yelp out in pain is horrible because I know whatever happened had to really bother him. Theres no blood and I dont think there's any marks. Ive never seen liko do it because when I'm with them liko usually is focused on me and is really happy. It usually happens at night not when veggies are given. Also noted that one time I did witness liko being aggressive. This was actually before the other guinea pigs being introduced and then taken away. He chased coal around while teeth chattering for about 15 minutes and then I saw him lunge towards coal for no reason and that's when I temporarily separated them. Coal flailed backwards frantically. It was a one time thing but as I said likos aggression has worsen so I'm not sure when I hear the yelping from coal if liko is lunging and nipping or if he's simply nipping him. Coal is extremely docile and friendly this should be noted because coal is NOT a trouble starter. He is the least mischevious guinea pig I've ever seen. And the nicest one too. They have 16th sq foot so its not because a small cage. What do you reccommend what are some bonding things I can do and how can I reverse the amped aggression that liko has ever since meeting other guinea pigs?

Please take the time to read this guide. It sounds like your boys are in the middle of their teenage hormones.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I would strongly suggest that try to work out whether the bond is still functional or not, according to the tips in the guide. It is not the bully you need to watch (they don't know what they are doing wrong and always want to be back with their mates) but the boy at the receiving end - if they are suddenly a lot happier away from their mate, you know that a separation is the best way forward.

PS: Unfortunately boars are best in pairs or large bachelor herds. Trios and quartets are by far the most instable boar combination and are a big NO NO in sub-adults. We are only to well aware how great the temptation for new owners is to extend their happy pre-teenage boar pairs; usually with rather disastrous results. Any bonding around 3-4 months will usually trigger the teenage hormones and enhance dominance behaviours unless you have a very submissive or laid-back boars. Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

We may be able to help you better if you please added your country, state/province or UK county your details as we have members and enquiries from all over the world. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and down to location. This will make it appear with every post you make, allow us to tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are and speed up things. Thank you!

Please take the time to read this guide. It sounds like your boys are in the middle of their teenage hormones.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I would strongly suggest that try to work out whether the bond is still functional or not, according to the tips in the guide. It is not the bully you need to watch (they don't know what they are doing wrong and always want to be back with their mates) but the boy at the receiving end - if they are suddenly a lot happier away from their mate, you know that a separation is the best way forward.

PS: Unfortunately boars are best in pairs or large bachelor herds. Trios and quartets are by far the most instable boar combination and are a big NO NO in sub-adults. We are only to well aware how great the temptation for new owners is to extend their happy pre-teenage boar pairs; usually with rather disastrous results. Any bonding around 3-4 months will usually trigger the teenage hormones and enhance dominance behaviours unless you have a very submissive or laid-back boars. Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

We may be able to help you better if you please added your country, state/province or UK county your details as we have members and enquiries from all over the world. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and down to location. This will make it appear with every post you make, allow us to tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are and speed up things. Thank you!
I forgot to say ive had them for 4 months but they are about 9 months old :) sorry. I dont know if this makes any difference

I forgot to say ive had them for 4 months but they are about 9 months old :) sorry. I dont know if this makes any difference

Well, they are currently in one of the more tricky phases during their teenage months. Please read our teenage guide. You will find it most helpful!

Back