Should i split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TasherR

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry i know their are a lot of similar threads but every situation is different so here goes.

I have 2 boars Ginge and Bill. They are around 3 years old and have lived together their whole lives.

Recently they have been getting a bit aggressive towards each other, but it has escalated in the past few weeks.

I have tried increasing their space but this hasnt helped things (6ft x 3ft area) and now 3 times in one week Ginge has pulled alot of hair out of Bill when they have had a fight. I havent seen them have the fights just heard them and ran to stop them but every time Bills fur is allover the cage and Ginge has some hanging out of his mouth!

They are also doing some serious rumbling and teeth chattering afterwards and i think they would fight again if i didnt sit and watch them for a bit!

Anyway sorry its long but any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
In that situation i would split them up before any real damage or injury's are caused, I'm unsure as to why pigs of that age would suddenly start fighting though.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi TasherR

I can't offer and words of advice, but I can certainly sympathise with your predicament; I'm in a similar position with my two young boars.....:(

Tracey

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Try to give them a "buddy bath" - using the same shampoo and let them commiserate together. In the meantime, thoroughly clean and wipe their cage (sides, bars and furniture) to neutralise it.

I hope that that helps. Alternatively, let them spend a night separately; hopefully, they will prefer to be together again; but make sure that you put them together on enutral territory first.

TasherR

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you Prophet and Wiebke i think il try seperating them for the night and reintroduce in the morning as their even rumbling ect when having floor time in the kitchen.
And TeeJay i hope your boars get along soon :)

TasherR

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Ok so i was going to split my boys for the night but after about 10 mins Bill was fretting soo much he started chewing the bars and running up and down, i felt really bad for him but Ginge wasnt even botherd and went to sleep so in the end i put them back together.
They seemed fine but my mum said that yesterday morning they had another fallout mallethead and again this morning i found some of Bills hair!
When they fight they are Rumble strutting, Teeth chattering, Puffing up, Leg kicking, Going nose to nose, Chasing and Ginge is pulling Bills hair but it is quiet long. Afterwards Bill will go and lie in one of the houses and then Ginge will go and lie in front of him but they never share only after a squabble. :{ i have never seen them cuddle :^-
It is always bills hair that i find so i think that it is Ginge that is starting the squabbles but i havent seem them start only heard them do you think it could be bullying? or is Bill annoying Ginge and he is retaliating, Bill always seems to follow Ginge around maybe he is getting annoyed?
Bill really seems to miss ginge when seperated but ginge doesnt seem to care
I just dont know what to do for the best! :{ any ideas!
Ps sorry its so long :red they are my first pigs so i need lots of wisdom and help please because i dont really know what to do!!
PPS if you need more info or a video just ask :)

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
strange that pigs of this age have suddenly started fighting. Have you changed anything recently? Can you check Bill over, perhaps he's ill. Weigh regularly and check teeth, skin, back end. Have yo got two of everything in your cage? X

Status
Not open for further replies.