• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Shy pig, best to leave alone? Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackellen

We have two lovely boys who we have had for about a month.

While Monty is extremely friendly and always runs to the front of the cage to say hello, Dylan is a very scared pig who runs away to hide whenever we even go near the cage. He will come and take food from our hand but then scurries back to his pigloo as fast as he can.

We always take them out for their run together and then when it comes to laptime, Monty loves to be stroked and cuddled (usually falling asleep in the process) while Dylan seems petrified. We tend to give them some veg which he's happy with but then after it's gone he just sits and does these little constant squeaks. I've looked on sites advising what different sounds mean and I'm sure this is a sign that he is scared. When I try and hold him and comfort him he just wants to get away..Am I best to leave him or should I persevere? Don't want to stress him out..

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
I understand you dont want to stress the little one out, but sometimes perservering is the best idea. Just handling little and often making it a quiet quick cuddle is good. Piggies are prey animals and there instinct is to be scared, but once theyve gained confidence with you they can absolutly adore cuddles/human contact. It might seem cruel to begin with, even the little ones i had used to sit on my lap and shake, but now theyre so much more confident. Even some of my piggies that like cuddles will run away/play hard to get, but once on my knee, love every moment of the attention.

Just perservre, he'll gain his confidence.

x.

wannabepiggymum

Junior Guinea Pig
I'm having the same problem with Lexie, and I was starting to feel cruel for picking her up so much! Thats why I am so glad to see this post, and the advise to just stick with it :)
thank you!

If you don't cuddle them together then please do so, it may help. Try to give him somewhere to hide his head in as well. Try wrapping him/covering him in a towel and snuggling him like a baby close to your neck so that he can hear your breathing and heartbeat. This helps a nervous piggie too.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.