Silly things you believed as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've totally stolen this from another forum rolleyes but it's really funny reading the things we believed when we were all young and innocent :))

Mine are:
That there was a man living in my built in wardrobe washing dishes mallethead (it was actually the person next door having a bath hehe) still though, I have a thing about that wardrobe and there is a free standing wardrobe in front of it to this day.

That if I swallowed chewing gum it would wrap around my heart and kill me 8...

That if I swallowed apple pips an apple tree would grow in my stomach :))

That the water you could hear under manholes in the street was actually underground swimming pools, I came up with the theory myself and have no idea why my mum allowed me to believe this :red

Touching the white stuff dandelions ooze made you wet the bed

That if you cut a mole (on your body) you would bleed to death. I was told this as I had a fascination with my moles and my mum was worried about me playing with them, so she told me this to stop me doing so ") However, this backfired when one day I was wearing a belly top and accidently cut one with my fingernail on my belly. I was about 9 at the time and can remember how hysterical I was thinking I was about to die. My mum did have the best of intentions though so don't think bad of her hehe

What are yours?xox

ghostbusterbunny

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That if I slept with my arms or legs hanging out of the side of the bed they would be chopped off whilst I slept...

Still can't sleep with anything hanging out of the side of the bed... ")

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had really straight hair and loved my sisters naturally curly hair.... my mum told me if I ate my bread crusts I would get curly hair .....I believed that ..... but hey maybe it was true as I didnt eat them and my hair stayed straight....lol

x

Reaction score
I had this inflatable Postman Pat weeble thing my Dad told me that Mike Morris from TV-AM had sent it to me. I only found a couple of years ago that he was lying to me :o

Also in Hull they have white telephone boxes (They don't have BT, they have Kingston Communications) someone told me it was to stop them getting them confused with post boxes :red

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I believed the chewing gum, apple seeds and moles things too :)) I also thought there was a monster at the end of the hallway leading from my bedroom so never dared to go toilet during the night

Reaction score
I buried my mum's engagement ring when I was a toddler because I thought I could grow a diamond tree! ")

And I used to think there was a big hand in the toilet that would pull me in! In fact it still worries me that one :))

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm a lot older now and hopefully wiser.
There was a man under the road who switched the cat's eyes on and off as you drove past them.
During sporting activies the foreign (usually Russian and german) athletes - if they didn't win they were executed.
Also because we live in the south if we went away on holiday coming back would be quicker because we lived at the bottom of the country. (going downhill)
I was also led to believe playing with dandelions made you wet the bed and chewing gum if swallowed would wrap around your ribs. :))

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That there was a man living in my built in wardrobe washing dishes mallethead (it was actually the person next door having a bath hehe) still though, I have a thing about that wardrobe and there is a free standing wardrobe in front of it to this day.

Hehehehehhe :)) :))

Mine were:

We lived in a semi detached house, and i believed that inbetween us and next door their was actually a secret passageway which let to a huge swimming pool and theme park....@)

That at night the floor disappeared and so i'd put all my teddies on the bed so they didnt disappear also.

At christmas I had two drunk elves who used to hide our presents round the house...and leave us notes :)) (it was actually so mum and dad could get an extra five mins in bed)

Teachers lived in the school wardrobe and only came out to teach us....

Teddies/dolls were real and could actually talk/walk when i wasnt looking!

Marshmallow trees exsisted.

:))

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That if I slept with my arms or legs hanging out of the side of the bed they would be chopped off whilst I slept...

Still can't sleep with anything hanging out of the side of the bed... ")

I thought a similar thing! If I slept with my arms or legs out of the bed then something would drag me off the bed! Paranormal Activity confirmed this :))

Reaction score
when i was little and i would come into my mum and dads bed in the morning, i use to think that there was a slide in the wall (there a a wall that stuck out and had the fireplace on) and at the bottom there was crocodiles rolleyes i had a weird imagination :))

Reaction score
Hehe, this is a good thread.

I believed that there was a "thing" living under my bed, and would grab me if a limb would hang off the side of the bed.

I also believed that girls who sit on tables will never find a husband. (this was told by my mum, in a desperate attempt to get us from always climbing on the dining room table)

I also believed that when I swollow chewing gum, my intestines would stick to the chewing gum and I will die.

I also believed that I would bleed to death if I cut off a mole.

When I was 3, my one kidney was removed, and I had a big scar on my side as a result, my dad called it my zipper, and I believed that the doctor could zip it open see what was going on inside my body.

I also beleived I could fall pregnant from kissing boys (my dad told us this verry convincingly :))

CPHill

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I always thought babies were born through belly buttons!

Reaction score

my dad told me that you would buy a sead from the pharmacist and put it in a dark draw then leave it for 9 months and it would have grown into a baby :))

Reaction score
I'm a lot older now and hopefully wiser.
There was a man under the road who switched the cat's eyes on and off as you drove past them.
During sporting activies the foreign (usually Russian and german) athletes - if they didn't win they were executed.
Also because we live in the south if we went away on holiday coming back would be quicker because we lived at the bottom of the country. (going downhill)
I was also led to believe playing with dandelions made you wet the bed and chewing gum if swallowed would wrap around your ribs. :))
:)) I used to think they were real cats eyes, again my parents never tried to put me off this notion, and the thoughts about how these cats eyes were 'harvested' for want of a better word, that went through my mind are quite scary lol
Lol the image of a baby popping out a belly button :))

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my dad told me that you would buy a sead from the pharmacist and put it in a dark draw then leave it for 9 months and it would have grown into a baby :))

Hahaha! i used to think that you went to the hospital, where they had a selection of babies too choose from. Then you'd choose your baby, the doctor would pump up your tummy till it was huge and then they'd put the newborn into you and tell you to come back in a week to give birth....lol!

Reaction score
I always thought that there were ferrets under the bed and if i put my arms or legs out they would bite me! lol

milhaven

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
'Eating all your veg will put hairs on your chest' ! Not what a little girl wants to hear, wouldn't touch cabbage for years! :))

kedwards

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Grandad once told me that when you heard the ice cream man play the tune, it meant they had run out of ice creams. How cruel is that?! Hence, why we rarely got ice creams from the ice cream man! X

Status
Not open for further replies.