• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Single Use/Unisex toilets at my kids secondary school 🙄

Thanks for all your replies..... I have calmed down a bit now.... seems to be the norm... providing other toilets are left alone then it is what it is.... my next issue is my son who has just started and said none of his teachers let him go to the toilet in the afternoon lessons and they dont get a break from 12.30-3pm.... kids... school.... life.... 🙄

Thanks for all your replies..... I have calmed down a bit now.... seems to be the norm... providing other toilets are left alone then it is what it is.... my next issue is my son who has just started and said none of his teachers let him go to the toilet in the afternoon lessons and they dont get a break from 12.30-3pm.... kids... school.... life.... 🙄

When I started secondary school you used to have to go halfway around the school just to find an open set of toilets. And of course they stationed prefects to block off access to any corridors the toilets were in at break and lunch because we couldn't have kids disturbing people in classrooms. Because of course nobody actually needed the toilet, they just wanted to stand around in the toilet blocks and chat.

It actually got to the point I nearly got sent to the office because they'd only let us through one at a time and because I'd been "smart" with them I got to go last. It didn't end well.

Oh gosh I would be interested in why the school has taken this stance. I mean surely its not conducive to learning if you are desperate for a wee and trying not to wet yourself. I agree with schools encouraging the use of toilets during break time to minimise disruption to class but not to refuse a genuine need

Oh gosh I would be interested in why the school has taken this stance. I mean surely its not conducive to learning if you are desperate for a wee and trying not to wet yourself. I agree with schools encouraging the use of toilets during break time to minimise disruption to class but not to refuse a genuine need
I think its a tricky balance to strike. In principle I agree with you in that a genuine need should not be refused, but how many teenagers would conveniently "be desperate for the loo" every time they had a lesson they didn't like so they could take advantage? How is the teacher meant to differentiate between actual need and the desire to skive? If all teenagers were reasonable, sensible and honest then toilet breaks in lessons would be no worry, but for some reason it doesn't work that way.

(that actually sums up how I feel about the unisex toilet thing, now I come to think about it: if all teenagers were reasonable, sensible and respectful there would be probably be no more problems than there are with single sex facilities, but for some reason it doesn't always work that way...)

I think its a tricky balance to strike. In principle I agree with you in that a genuine need should not be refused, but how many teenagers would conveniently "be desperate for the loo" every time they had a lesson they didn't like so they could take advantage? How is the teacher meant to differentiate between actual need and the desire to skive? If all teenagers were reasonable, sensible and honest then toilet breaks in lessons would be no worry, but for some reason it doesn't work that way.

(that actually sums up how I feel about the unisex toilet thing, now I come to think about it: if all teenagers were reasonable, sensible and respectful there would be probably be no more problems than there are with single sex facilities, but for some reason it doesn't always work that way...)

Yes but I think teachers are very atuned to this kind of thing. I would hope benefit of the doubt would be given followed by a warning that it won't happen everytime. My old maths teacher was very aware I was using my music lessons to get out of his class :))

My old maths teacher was very aware I was using my music lessons to get out of his class :))
My English teacher new that too! Very often she was in a really bad mood and said I couldn't go. I soon learnt just to sit there quietly and when it was time to go she would say to me "Still here then? off you go"

I am 100% against mixed sex toilets. Never mind calling it "gender neutral" or "unisex"...it's mixed sex. This is a new thing and completely ignores the safety and privacy of girls, as well as boys who aren't keen either. Girls can start their periods in primary school, this is hugely insensitive. In developing countries, girls don't go to school when they have their periods before the toilets are mixed sex and there is a drive to provide single sex facilities.

At my "uni" (I only done a year course) we had uni sex toilets in the main reception area, but they were individual "rooms" with each cubicle also having a sink area, nothing could be heard inside of outside of them, I actually ended up using these more than the lower floor gender seperate toilets, however, I wouldn't like the fact of using cubicle unisex toilets where there gaps at the top/bottom of walls&doors

Back