• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

sleep and poo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danone

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
now as we all know piggys poo and pee a lot and almost everywhere ! my two boys seem to poo some times in their little house they sleep in so their under sides get a bit dirty,is this normal for piggys as I'm only about 2 months into my first pigs.i would like to add they are healthy in every way and its not a bordem thing etc
thanks

Reaction score
My pigs are exactly the same; they are dirty little monkeys. I swear they just can't be bothered to move and just do it where they are!

The only way around it, I find, is to shake out blankets regularly (twice a day) or if they're on bedding to change that often or place a fresh layer in. I'm forever cleaning them out! :{

If their backsides get dirty they'd benefit from a regular behind check and maybe a regular wash. Luckily my boys don't get dirty bums but sometimes notice they smell a bit whiffy of piddle!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's normal for piggies to poo where they sleep and sit in their houses etc... Our pigs are poo machines, they will poo and sit in it when asleep.

We take the poo's out from their house's twice a day and put fresh bedding in and generally spruce up the cage. If your piggies are long haired make sure they are not tangled up in their fur, longer haired piggles benfit from a regular bum trim...

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The digestion doesn't stop just because a piggy is asleep! In fact, many piggies love their digestives naps... mallethead

danone

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
yeah they are proper little poopers and piddlers haha,i bed mine on hay as they dont get on with anything else,so I'm constantly changing the hay twice a day !
expensive but they deserve it ! and yeah i give them a bottom wash with cotton wool every now and then.

stinkers !

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
yeah they are proper little poopers and piddlers haha,i bed mine on hay as they dont get on with anything else,so I'm constantly changing the hay twice a day !
expensive but they deserve it ! and yeah i give them a bottom wash with cotton wool every now and then.

stinkers !

I too have my girls on hay..........twice daily i do a big clean out and if i happen to walk by (house is downstairs.....but i do go down there often ) and see a clump of poops i clean that up..........

I'm finding with my long haired girl she's not exactly the most cleanest (sorry baby girl) so i do a butt wash regularly it's around the 3-4 weeks depending on the season :)) i picked them both up tonight and it's just gone 2 weeks and they literally are on the PONGO :p so it's butt wash this weekend or i might do a wet washer wash tomoro!

Guinea pigs <3

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The digestion doesn't stop just because a piggy is asleep! In fact, many piggies love their digestives naps... mallethead

Haha, that pigture is brilliant! Sums up piggies toileting habits perfectly!

My girls too are exactly the same...they manage to trash their cage within 15minutes of cleaning it :{ They particularly enjoy peeing and pooping in their beds, my washing machine never stops! I couldn't believe it during my first few weeks of owning them, now the cage clear out has just become another part of my daily routine rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.