• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Slight Wheezing and sneezing

joeyH

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little sister was recently gonna give away her guinea pig, so I took it in instead. Almost immediately I noticed it had loud breathing specifically while laying down, and is sneezing quite often. This morning however its breathing got louder accompanied by a clicking noise. She also is sleeping more than what she normally would. Her appetite seems normal, and will even get out of bed to eat lettuce out of my hand, but I'm still very worried. I just put a steaming bowl of water near her cage hoping it would help clear her nostrils but haven't seen any change yet. I've inserted a video at the end of my guinea pig breathing and interacting. she sneezed right after I quit recording. any knowledge or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Video of guinea pig breathing.

As you may know guinea pigs get respiratory infections very easily. My guinea pig had these symptoms but with coughing and no wheezing. She just had a common cold but, even that could be dangerous. If she is less active doesn't respond to commands and stops eating you should take her to the vet. Maybe it is the temperature in your house or maybe it is just a cold. if her symptoms get worse got to the vet.

As you may know guinea pigs get respiratory infections very easily. My guinea pig had these symptoms but with coughing and no wheezing. She just had a common cold but, even that could be dangerous. If she is less active doesn't respond to commands and stops eating you should take her to the vet. Maybe it is the temperature in your house or maybe it is just a cold. if her symptoms get worse got to the vet.

This advice is incorrect. Guinea pigs do not contract a common cold.

Please also note the forum terms and rules for sick animals. Posters should always be advised to speak to a vet if there is a concern their pet is ill. The forum is not here to diagnose or replace formal veterinary care.

I understand. Sorry if I was incorrect and i admit I made a mistake.

If you do not know about a topic posted within the health and illness section we would kindly request that you don't post advice. This section is set up and monitored by our health and illness team to ensure that everyone gets factual responses to help any ill piggies. This is why sometimes threads in this area take a bit longer to get the detailed responses (because other members leave the thread for the team to pick up so the poster gets the best support). Another reason for a delay is that the forum is UK based and it's now late at night

Oh sorry I forgot American time is different. I will try not to post here if I am incorrect or if i do not understand the topic.

My little sister was recently gonna give away her guinea pig, so I took it in instead. Almost immediately I noticed it had loud breathing specifically while laying down, and is sneezing quite often. This morning however its breathing got louder accompanied by a clicking noise. She also is sleeping more than what she normally would. Her appetite seems normal, and will even get out of bed to eat lettuce out of my hand, but I'm still very worried. I just put a steaming bowl of water near her cage hoping it would help clear her nostrils but haven't seen any change yet. I've inserted a video at the end of my guinea pig breathing and interacting. she sneezed right after I quit recording. any knowledge or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Video of guinea pig breathing.
I can’t really hear anything on the video. But I would advise you take her in to be checked over soon.

This advice is incorrect. Guinea pigs do not contract a common cold.

Please also note the forum terms and rules for sick animals. Posters should always be advised to speak to a vet if there is a concern their pet is ill. The forum is not here to diagnose or replace formal veterinary care.
I am currently looking for a vet to care for my pig, but sadly due to me living in a small rural town finding one isn't as easy. due to COVID the only exotic pet vet in town has closed, so I'm stuck driving 2 plus hours. dude to this I just want to make sure that it could be respiratory before I spend hundreds and drive hours. once again any help is greatly appreciated even if it's just a "that doesn't look right" kind of comment. I have no experience and only took on the responsibility to avoid him going to a lesser home or worst.

It’s best you get your piggy to the vet. No one here is a qualified vet. If the breathing isn’t right it needs to be checked out.

Back