• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small red lump in corner of guinea pig's eye

sami_

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
One of my guinea pigs, Evie, has had a crusty eye (just one) for the past week or so. Her ears have also looked a little dry and flaky.
I've been putting antibiotic eye drops in her eye that looked crusty and been putting a mixture of pawpaw ointment and coconut oil on her ears.
Her eye hasn't seemed to get any better.

Tonight when I was looking at her eye I noticed a small, red lump in the inner corner of her eye (picture attached).
I am wondering if anyone knows what this is and what I can do about it. My pigs always get taken to the vet if they show sign of discomfort or serious issues but since Evie has shown 0 signs of discomfort my parents are reluctant to take her to the vet straight away.

I would really appreciate any help I can get as I am very worried.

(Evie is a 7 month old rex guinea pig)

Attachments

• evie-eye.JPG
    evie-eye.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
Your piggy needs to be taken to a vet. Please don’t home treat. Putting antibiotic eye drop in her eye without a vets diagnosis and approval may not be a safe thing to do. Eyes are classed as emergencies and a vet needs to see them straight away.
Piggies hide their discomfort and pain so saying she doesn’t appear to be in pain may not an accurate reflection on what they are really feeling.

Where did you get the antibiotic eye drops from? She needs to see a vet if her eye isn’t getting better. A general will be able to treat her. Eyes can become worse quickly and you don’t want to have to pay out more for surgery.

Guinea pigs hide their illness very well so they shouldn’t wait till she’s in discomfort to have her seen.

Also don’t use anything for her ear. She needs to be seen to diagnose what it may/not be.

Your piggy needs to be taken to a vet. Please don’t home treat. Putting antibiotic eye drop in her eye without a vets diagnosis and approval may not be a safe thing to do. Eyes are classed as emergencies and a vet needs to see them straight away.
Piggies hide their discomfort and pain so saying she doesn’t appear to be in pain may not an accurate reflection on what they are really feeling.
The eye drops are guinea pig specific antibiotic drops that my vet has told me to use if my pigs ever get eye issues such as this one, I do agree with you about not home treating i'm just doing what I can before we take her to a vet if that's necessary.

The eye drops are guinea pig specific antibiotic drops that my vet has told me to use if my pigs ever get eye issues such as this one, I do agree with you about not home treating i'm just doing what I can before we take her to a vet if that's necessary.
They shouldn’t have given you drops to use when they get eye issues. They should always be examined before deciding on treatment. I would stop using them and get your girl seen by the vet.

Please can you add your location to your profile - state/county or country.

Where did you get the antibiotic eye drops from? She needs to see a vet if her eye isn’t getting better. A general will be able to treat her. Eyes can become worse quickly and you don’t want to have to pay out more for surgery.

Guinea pigs hide their illness very well so they shouldn’t wait till she’s in discomfort to have her seen.

Also don’t use anything for her ear. She needs to be seen to diagnose what it may/not be.
the eye drops are from my vet specifically for my guinea pig's eye problems, I've only just noticed the lump tonight and would love to take her to the vet but parents are reluctant for now.

Unfortunately giving any kind of treatment before seeing a vet can mask the symptoms and make it harder for a vet to diagnose the problem. It also delays getting the correct treatment - it may well be that your piggy is prescribed antibiotic drops, but you unfortunately can’t know that it is the right course of action or know whether there is in fact something in the eye which is making the problem worse quicker than the antibiotics can help. It really is best to just go straight to the vet and not do anything yourself at home.
Eyes need to be dealt with quickly and your parents have a responsibility to ensure your pets get the treatment when they need it
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide

When they allowed you to keep guinea pigs they took on the responsibility of catering to their welfare needs. One of which is to take them to the vet when necessary. Please speak to them and try to explain that responsibility.

Unfortunately giving any kind of treatment before seeing a vet can mask the symptoms and make it harder for a vet to diagnose the problem. It also delays getting the correct treatment - it may well be that your piggy is prescribed antibiotic drops, but you unfortunately can’t know that it is the right course of action or know whether there is in fact something in the eye which is making the problem worse quicker than the antibiotics can help. It really is best to just go straight to the vet and not do anything yourself at home.
Eyes need to be dealt with quickly and your parents have a responsibility to ensure your pets get the treatment when they need it
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
When they allowed you to keep guinea pigs they took on the responsibility of catering to their welfare needs. One of which is to take them to the vet when necessary. Please speak to them and try to explain that responsibility.
ok thank you guys, I will get her taken to the vet asap :)

Hello,
One of my guinea pigs, Evie, has had a crusty eye (just one) for the past week or so. Her ears have also looked a little dry and flaky.
I've been putting antibiotic eye drops in her eye that looked crusty and been putting a mixture of pawpaw ointment and coconut oil on her ears.
Her eye hasn't seemed to get any better.

Tonight when I was looking at her eye I noticed a small, red lump in the inner corner of her eye (picture attached).
I am wondering if anyone knows what this is and what I can do about it. My pigs always get taken to the vet if they show sign of discomfort or serious issues but since Evie has shown 0 signs of discomfort my parents are reluctant to take her to the vet straight away.

I would really appreciate any help I can get as I am very worried.

(Evie is a 7 month old rex guinea pig)

Please have her vet checked for a possible conjunctivitis. This looks like one of the little glands that line the eye has been pushed out; usually from a swollen conjunctiva.

Please have her vet checked for a possible conjunctivitis. This looks like one of the little glands that line the eye has been pushed out; usually from a swollen conjunctiva.
I'll take her in to the vet tomorrow

Back