• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Smelly Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new on here and just have a question.
I rescued two boars about 10 weeks ago. They are only youngsters and were dumped at work (I'm a vet nurse). They have come a long way in the time I've had them and they now take food from my hands whereas previously they were extremely nervous.
My question is that they are rather stinky and I was wondering if there is anything that will help? Unfortunately we don't get an awful lot of training on 'exotics' although I do have some piggy knowledge and I'm obviously learning more and more reading up on them. (Last had pigs when I was a child!). They are entire so didn't know if neutering would help? I clean them out every other day. But when I stroke them my hands are left quite smelly, I realise they have glands that secrete scent - would a bath help? Obviously I'm not into bathing pets and don't normally recommend but wondered if it would be warranted in their case?
Thanks!

You could give them a bum bath and clean their grease glands. I use Swarfega on the grease gland. They shouldn't need a full bath that often, though it sounds like they need one now.

I have kept bunnies for 8 years and only had to bath 2 in that time, once each so I'm not in the habit of bathing small furries but I think you might both be right - a bath is in order!
Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back