• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Snapped tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
:{
I don't know how he's managed it again, but Skittle has snapped a tooth for the third time now since i've had him.
He doesn't appear to be in any pain, he's still stuffing his face, but he's been biting me a lot lately.
Both bottom and top front teeth were intact yesterday, his usual weekend check over & weigh in - but today the top left tooth has snapped clean in half, again. I don't know what to do with him =[. Is it lack of calcium, or something else.
I can't afford to buy food at the moment, let alone get the bus or pay for the vet 8...

Does he run up and down a ramp or anything? Any chance he falls often or is dropped? I cant think of anything that would make them snap other than that to be honest. If hes eating and continues to eat, keep a really close eye on it. It should grow back normally but just keep an eye.

x.

As with all Rodents, their teeth will continue to grow through out there life, as they are constant feeders this grinding of there teeth wears them out, i would suggest a visit to your local vet to check for any underlying illnesses should this problem keep occurring, which is possible, but diet is a key factor in having strong teeth and bones.

What is his current daily diet? as a diet change may be needed to resolve breaking teeth.

It has been mentioned, but has he bumped into anything, fallen off a ramp or the sofa? This can easily snap or knock out a tooth, check for any damage around the mouth, as a bang, knock would show signs of bruising or cutting of the gums.

is he a barr biter?

does he get plenty of fresh veg every day high in vit C ? and a good guinea pig food?

sometimes when front teeth brake it can be a sign of back teeth problems, also other signs are slanted front teeth, dribbling/wet patch under the chin, gagging when trying to eat like something is stuck in the throte/exaggerated ear movements when eating, weight loss not all these signs are seen together they may only show 1 signs or 2 or all. x

his daily diet varies - it consists generally of the following; curly kale, bell pepper, occasional carrot, broccoli, spinach, mange tout, runner beans, occasional tomato, strawberries, blueberries, apple, orange segment, pear. he's a bit arrogant with his food rolleyes try him with something new once a week and i usually get a huff.
as well as that, he has a mountain of hay every day, willow sticks (quite enjoys stripping the bark off), willow spiral, a wooden chew that acts as a throwing toy and he goes through his p@h guinea nuggets like fire.

both of his top two snapped, but for the last two days they've grown and evened out. his bottom two are pushing over 1cm long, whenever i take him the vet they refuse to cut them :{ but its only ever his top ones that snap.

he's lost his top two before from climbing and falling (although not too far thankfully). he's a serious little tyke haha. he gets free rein of my bedroom now because its wooden flooring and theres nothing for him to backflip off or knaw through.

he's had no falls, we've learnt to bar any available leverages, because he loves to climb the little freak <3 and he's a serious bar biter, despite being out of his cage for 10hours max everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back