• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

So proud of my Brumby!

Hannah_xx

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
I’ve been grinning ear to ear since a camping trip to Wombat state forest last week! I took my 6yr old Brumby Cappa along.
I’ve been very slowly saddle starting him for the past year. I’ve had a few short rides in the arena on him in the past few months, just walking. where he has been happy and content.
I’ve hardly done anything with him for the past 6 weeks due to my own lack of motivation and Lucy being my priority to exercise as she’s fat.
But he was super happy to load straight onto the float (trailer) as always.
On the first day I decided just to go for it and get on, with his brand new saddle. I’ve never rode him with a saddle before, just bareback.
Plus it was our first ride out in the bush (we’ve done LOTS of in-hand bush walking). AND his first time ever seeing horses in cart!
HE WAS AWESOME! I am over the moon!
Why doesn’t he buck me off?!?! Why is he taking it all in his stride and still listening to me even though I’m on his back?! I feel so safe on him, He is such a superstar. I’ve never ‘broken in’ (I hate that term!) a horse before. Cappa is just simply amazing, He loves to do his best and eager to please. He feels so settled with me on top, even with the new environment, surroundings and company that we was in.
I'm so proud! :D

C819C121-37E7-4DC4-8C16-ED1694A8BAFE.jpegDB1A8218-EF92-4FA1-BD8C-0C23C9F08FB5.jpeg5124856B-8020-4FDF-A60F-3C57C0E1FF00.jpeg9C345664-8D19-48A6-B051-0528BA5F9F8C.jpeg8C13968D-299E-4648-8CB3-E9AAB19A824A.jpeg

You’ve obviously done a good job in introducing and getting him used to his tack and different experiences and it has paid off. Taking time to do this ensure you have a good bond with him and he trusts you. Well done! He’s lovely, by the way, a beautiful colour. I bet you had a great time - being out for the day on a horse is one of the things I miss most about having one, though I didn’t mind all the other things too. I just miss horses in general.🐴

You look like a dream team - what great photos! He must trust you so much to be so relaxed and yet alert - look at those forward-facing ears! "Hello" say those ears... "what's going on here?"

You’ve clearly done a brilliant job with all of the foundation work! Really lovely to see a horse being started so ‘late’, giving them time to grow and mature, both physically and mentally. I also hate the term ‘breaking’ and prefer ‘backing’.

Looks like you’ve done a great job with him! Most people get problems from rushing youngsters. Sounds like he’s had lots of time to mature and develop. Well done! 😍

Handsome! You’ve obviously got the touch and probably most importantly have built a strong relationship with him where he can trust you 🥲

Sounds like you have some innate horse whispering ability. Fabulous looking chap. Well done x

You’ve clearly done a brilliant job with all of the foundation work! Really lovely to see a horse being started so ‘late’, giving them time to grow and mature, both physically and mentally. I also hate the term ‘breaking’ and prefer ‘backing’.

Thank you!
I agree, it’s awful seeing horses that are backed so early. Their precious bones are still devolving! I want my horses to live long, happy and healthy lives. Not to break down by their early teens! It really upsets me seeing babies broken in :’
Looks like you’ve done a great job with him! Most people get problems from rushing youngsters. Sounds like he’s had lots of time to mature and develop. Well done! 😍

Thank You so much! I’ve spent about 3 years bonding with him. He was SUCH a nervous and scared youngster when he came in from the wild (who can blame him!). Before I adopted him, other people came out to see him and Cappa was petrified of them!
Then I came back out to Australia and Cappa remembered me from the year previous and choose to be with me forever :)
He's a beautiful horse and bitless too - impressive effort to have come so far so gently with him.

That’s so kind of you, thank you. :D

Back