• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Social media outage

I don't use FB or Instagram, they'd waste far too much time if I signed up for them. Don't want a faceless profiteering behemoth using my info to make more money or feed me rubbish either. I use whatsapp to communicate with one of my home groups and family as and when necessary, but didn't need it today so haven't missed it ....
And OH BOY, do they keep trying to feed you rubbish too - it's depressing!

I'm sure you all know my feelings on Facebook Inc, its algorithms and its business practices - so I'll just say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Pity it was only BGP.

Why is it those that dont use it get so het up about it?

I think it's great for keeping people connected who live far from each other.
I think the specific groups are great, like support for parents of children with special needs. I couldn't get that support from people in my real life, my best mate, or my cousin or my neighbour, because I don't have that in common with them.
But I guess there are the "look my life is better than yours" crowd on Facebook, that can put people off?

:) Without writing an essay:

Criticism of Facebook - Wikipedia

* Although it should be noted that simply not having an account on any of their services, and refraining from the use of any of their services does not preclude their collection of personal data, which they use to build shadow profiles, with an accompanying social graph, which are invisible until a user signs up.

:) Without writing an essay:

Criticism of Facebook - Wikipedia

* Although it should be noted that simply not having an account on any of their services, and refraining from the use of any of their services does not preclude their collection of personal data, which they use to build shadow profiles, with an accompanying social graph, which are invisible until a user signs up.
That's all really valid, but the way I see it.. until I become a billionaire/famous movie star/secret service agent/political subversive, I don't mind data being gathered on me, I don't think my data is of interest to anyone, it won't affect me. Just my take on it.

I agree we are all followed everywhere. Do you think you’re not followed on this forum? I like Facebook for seeing my friends photos etc and for sharing funny stories. WhatsApp I use constantly for texting etc. I don’t use instagram Its just the ‘I don’t use it I have life’ brigade that I find annoying

Couldn't care less, I'm lucky enough have real animals which are far more interesting!
Only one I've looked at was Facebook, and too much time on there honestly makes you want to give up on the human race!
I also don't understand the craze for needing to tell the whole world about your life!
I’m pretty sure my animals are real? 🤔 lol. They certainly cost me enough if they aren’t!

Only social media I use is this excellent guinea pig forum where I sincerely hope that I am followed and tracked, to further Piggle's dreams of world domination/showing everyone how much better her supreme natural piggy bum curves are than Kim Kardashian's fake ones :)

I didn’t even realise it had been down until I heard the news this morning.
That probably answers the question for me :D

I only use WhatsApp for messaging and phoning my granddaughter niw she has a payasyougo mobile phone, I use Facebook to keep up with rescue news but nothing else. I far prefer to chat to friends over the landline or in person, so had little impact on my life for 24 hours

I'd not heard of WhatsApp until I saw a news report that said it was down. I did have a Facebook account to look at some rescue stuff but I didn't like it, found it very hard to understand and can't remember the password. When I try to go on it now they say I don't have an account and if I try to open a new one they say I have one already! I can live without it. If it wasn't for my children buying me a laptop for my birthday last year I wouldn't be on line at all now. I must admit it is useful for online shopping, especially piggie stuff. I really would like to live without it though.

I'd not heard of WhatsApp until I saw a news report that said it was down. I did have a Facebook account to look at some rescue stuff but I didn't like it, found it very hard to understand and can't remember the password. When I try to go on it now they say I don't have an account and if I try to open a new one they say I have one already! I can live without it. If it wasn't for my children buying me a laptop for my birthday last year I wouldn't be on line at all now. I must admit it is useful for online shopping, especially piggie stuff. I really would like to live without it though.
I've had a Facebook account for years and still find it reeally hard to navigate around! 🤦🏼‍♀️ So I feel your pain lol.
WhatsApp is very easy and I use it to send and receive pet photos with friends and my brother in New Zealand. Also I loved the funny memes throughout lockdown that people sent on WhatsApp.

I use my husband's FB account if I need to bid in a rescue auction, or something else where the organisation only uses Fb not a website; but I agree it isn't easy to use. Especially it seems to drop or reorder posts randomly, so for example my husband sometimes tells me he's seen something funny, but then he can't find it to show me.
Glad you are still online, @piggieminder - I'm sure we'd all miss you and your piggies if you weren't!

Back