• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Something is wrong Caspar. Any advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I have not posted for quite some time but I would be so grateful for any advice from you. Caspar is just over 4 years old and for quite some time has suffered impaction of faeces. Despite removal of the faeces daily he used to cry out occasionally.This is becoming more frequent ( several times a day) and he is obviously distressed. In December he started to eat less food and generally looking sad and unwell. He then developed a snuffly nose which will not go away. I have taken him to the vet 3 times and he has completed 2 courses of antibiotics (Baytril and Seprin). He is hardly eating anything at all now and is surviving on syringed food. He can eat treats eg veg, salad and fruit himself but he will only eat straw if handfed a strand at a time. He is obviously not receiving enough fibre and his faeces is now very soft with no normal pellets being passed. It's impossable for me to handfeed the amount of straw he needs. On top of this when I feed him either straw or syringed pellet feed after a few minutes he tenses, arching his back and cries out. This is often followed by him passing wind so I'm sure its some kind of intestinal cramp/problem. I don't think it's his teeth as he is happy to chomp away when being hand fed. Sorry for long post but he seems to have quite a few symptoms. He is getting quite thin now and although vet says he is not desperately underweight his little bones are sticking out. He is a beautiful natured lad and I hate to see him suffer. Please can anyone advise? Many Thanks.?/

Reaction score
You could try giving him a pro biotic, if it's digestive issues he's having. Good luck with him :)

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are you actually giving him straw to eat or do you mean hay? Please give him hay! Sounds like his teeth you need to See a guinea savvy vet asap. Where are you located?

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are you actually giving him straw to eat or do you mean hay? Please give him hay! Sounds like his teeth you need to See a guinea savvy vet asap. Where are you located?

Tani

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw, I'm so sorry year poor piggy is suffering and you can't pin point what's wrong :( . That's the hardest thing - trying to cure an unknown problem.
Firstly - is there any blood in his urine or droppings?
Is his stomach hard or bloated or distended?
What fresh food are you feeding him?
Does he squeak when going to the toilet?
Is he still on baytrill?

Just some basic questions to rule a few things out.
The snuffly nose (is it clicky sounding?)
Has the vet done an X-ray?

It does sound like you might want to take him to another vet straight away. I'm saying this because for about a year my vets (all 4 in the practice) said my pootles weight loss and pain and loss of appetite were just cystitis. They gave her baytrill (which does nothing for that anyway) and only after being on this forum did I then insist on an X-ray & it turned out she had bladder stones.

I had to pretty much tell the vets what medication to use etc, so I'm saying that sometimes, the vets just aren't dissed when it comes to piggies & you might take him to another who would know straight away what it is.

Big hugs xx

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your replies. Sorry I was not very clear but was so worried when I wrote about Caspar. He does have timothy hay and that dried grass that smells lovely from Pets at Home. He is a fussy eater with the dried food, picking what he likes and wasting the rest. He does get the pellets as well though.Fresh food he loves and is varied with green vegetable leaves, baby leaf salad leaves, sweetcorn and cucumber. He usually has fruit as well but I have cut back on it at present.
He has completed all antibiotics now but I'm very interested to hear about the stones showing up on the x ray. I think I will suggest that to the vet just to rule it out. His snuffley nose has improved a bit so hopefully he is recovering from that. Many Thanks to all of for your help.

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry that poor Caspar is suffering. I think you do need to see your vet again to rule out a few more things, and find out what's going on. One little bit of advice I would give though, as someone has already said. Give probiotics, which you can buy from pet shops. Antibiotics, particularly baytril can upset the gut flora, they kill the good bugs as well as the bad, and make a pig feel really lousy and off food, so it would be useful to get Caspar started on PB's asap. Hope he is ok. x

Tani

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw, glad his snuffles are clearing up.

With the x-rays, they normally have to give them a bit of gas to relax them so they will remain still enough. If you do decide to go ahead with the xray then suggest to them that they take a couple at different angles as sometimes the bone positions can block the stones from showing (as I found out :( ) and be sure they get a good one of the bladder and the uretha area as well.

It might not be these at all so see how he goes
x

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
sorry to hear Caspar isn't well. Our piggie had exactly the same symptoms and antibiotics and other digestive aids didn't work either, his leg became ulcerated in addition to that from joint inflammation. In our case inflammation of his bladder lining which was causing him discomfort when pooping was caused by too much calcium in water and too much protein in his food. Pigs should only drink water that has very little calcium in it.
Deeside or Duchy bottled water (Waitrose) is perfect for guinea pigs as it's got the lowest calcium content we were able to find (around 4mg per litre).

Reaction score
;)Hi and thank you all for your help,advice and kind regards. I'm so pleased to follow up and report that Caspar is fully recovered. He has returned to his normal self although he does look and feel so much thinner. Reading from some recent threads I think he may have caught a cold/flu bug from me. He needs a little pampering to help him gain some weight. Thank you all so much for your helpful advice. It's lovely to be able to have support from others who truly understand our concerns.;)

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Was just reading your thread................really pleased to hear Caspar is back to his piggie self again x)
What a relief for you!

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Great news...please make sure he gets plenty of Vit C atm...and weigh him regularly to make sure he is putting on weight....

Any probs/weight loss then please come back here or PM individuals...

Well done Caspar...such a relief to hear you are doing OK.....sincerely hope he is now "out of the woods"

x

Status
Not open for further replies.