• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Something’s Wrong

Sophie B

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ghost, our Syrian hamster looks very unwell, she sometimes goes very inactive when it gets cold, but this time she’s shaky and lethargic, I’ve given her water, food and a bit of cherry tomato.
She’s a little bit more active now but

I’m seriously worried for her health...

Help please!

Sorry I can't help but sending you hugs. Can you phone you vets for help? Hope a hamster expert comes along soon.

Yeah vet trips a good plan.
Have you tried feeding her baby food? Or things like risotto/cooked rice/pasta? They seem to go down well with poorly hams, helps with a bit of energy? Even a bit of protein like mealworms etc?
A bit of stodgy, warming food seems to go down well too.

Is she showing any other symptoms? x

Thanks everybody, she must be a year old (at least)

We got her from Pets at Home who said she was a baby but she was much bigger than all the rest so we suspect she was older

I’ve just checked on her, she’s much better, she does this quite a lot, it freaks me out 😣

Once she was so cold that she was dehydrated and didn’t look like she was breathing well, she basically looked dead, we came close to burying her that day, thankfully she was ok

She lives near the radiator to help prevent her getting cold

She is running about now, I’ll keep an eye on her

If it happens a lot may be worth popping her to a good vet, to see if you could do anything to help. Not normal for it to happen frequently.
If the radiator is on and off could be an issue with changes in temp.

I think it may be the changes in temperature, when we turn the heating on and off

Might just be the nature of the hamster.

We have one from pets at home. And she's very chilled.

Then we have one we rescued and she's insane.

Can you move her away from the radiator so the temperature is stable? Hams can go into torpor if they get too cold. Does she do it when it's warm as well?

Can you move her away from the radiator so the temperature is stable? Hams can go into torpor if they get too cold. Does she do it when it's warm as well?
There’s not really anywhere else she can go...

Where she was before was in a set of drawers in the hall, but she was right in front of the window so there was a big draft

Back