1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. With Warm Weather predicted in the UK - Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sow Behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour and Bonding' started by Wiebke, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guineapigfan

guineapigfan New Member

It's difficult to say what is and isn't normal. My two sows fought for quite some time and, after having them for a few weeks, it almost seemed to get worse as their confidence in their new home grew. It did take quite a while for them to sort out their differences and one of them unfortunately ended up with a split lip and nibbled ears. Luckily, as we were about to seperate them, they just stopped fighting.

Then one had to have an operation and it happened all over again, I wonder if that is because they can't remember one another?

I think the dominance battle is a very individual experience for each piggie.

2. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Piggies can remember each other perfectly, but we tend to underestimate the importance of the group scent! A piggy's scent changes after a medical procedure and she may no longer be accepted as "one of us". I found that piggies are very conservative in that respect - sadly!

Dominance and dominance displays depend very much on the constellation of characters.

3. I just got 4 days ago a pair of mother and daughter. The little one is really shy and stays in the little house, and I feel that the older one sometimes snaps at her. They don't bite each other, but sometimes the young one seems startled and runs into hiding from the older one. They are 6 months and 2 years. What do you think of this behavior, is it normal or should I be worried?

4. Snap!

I am in exactly the same position as you rolleyes. We have had our oldest pig for 2 mths and the youngest for 1 mth. They are 4 and 3 mths now. We went through the whole intro thing and they got on well in the beginning :). Then Ginger started bullying Jess and wouldn't let her into the bed. She weed on her, head butted and constantly growled at her. I put in another box,dish and water bottle but this continued. I bought wire panels and built a large cage to give them more space. Again this worked for a week but ginger is back to bullying, although Jess is doing her fair share of growling now. They cry for each other when you take one away to cuddle and Jess continues to want to share the same bed rolleyes No blood has been drawn but I wish they would get on.

Chelseaspiggies likes this.
  5. muggins

muggins Junior Guinea Pig

fighting sows !

our two(patch and spot)have bickered since i took them home as pets for my daughter.2 x sows to keep each other company....?.it wasnt long before i noticed i'd bought more than 2!.i thought it best to separate the two of them and so 3 more piggies later , i now have the hutch separated by wire. my plan its to keep one of the babies with mum and introduce them to the other sow . my only concern is that mum has drawn blood from the other sow just before they were separated .any thoughts ?

6. CiaraPatricia

CiaraPatricia Adult Guinea Pig

I'm lucky my two sows get on really well. Lola has always been the dominant one (we got her about two days before Sukie so she thinks she owns the place!). Lola will block access to the sleeping part of the hutch sometimes, and Sukie has to sleep outside in a log cabin. And Lola will sometimes chase Sukie away. But they both argue over food and neither of them win there. :) Overall they're very friendly and do cuddle up sometimes and always follow each other around. Sukie is more confident, and Lola is nervous, so I think that helps Sukie to stand up to Lola!

7. lauralucy

Forum Donator 2016/17

hi I'm not sure but it might just be that she drew blood because she was expecting and wanted to be on her own. you could try them together and keep an eye on them :) hope it goes ok

8. muggins

i think the problem is that they are both still young,8 weeks old when i got them and are both very similar in sizeand,one is a mum ! all before they are fully adult .alot going on inside those little minds !thanks for your thoughts ,good to compare

9. helen105281

Forum Donator 2016/17

Am noticing a bit of this behaviour with Jessica and Amelie at the moment. We moved them into a trixie Trun type pen tonight while we wait for the right time to bond them with Gertie and Johnny and they seem to be squaring up to each other a bit and snapping at each other and am sure I have heard some chattering. Is this just them sorting out who's boss? They play other times and chase each other too.

10. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a dominance sort out! New territory = new dominance settlement!

11. helen105281

Forum Donator 2016/17

That's what I thought, thanks very much Wiebke.

alibobbles likes this.
  12. helen105281

Forum Donator 2016/17

We have had the little ones over two weeks now and they still snap at each other and do the handbags at dawn thing and occasionally go from one back leg to the other. A lot if the time they share ok but recently have been booting each other out the way of the food more and more. We scatter the veggies now which helps but Jess doesn't always get a look in until Amelie is finished. Will this sort itself out ?

Denziebear likes this.
  13. pammyj

pammyj New Member

I was shocked today to see my girls fighting and doing the chin up stance! First of all I thought it was Tinka doing all the nipping but have just seen Belle do it. I think Tinka will be the dominant one as she is always out first, at the food first but Belle tries bless her and they have the odd tiff over a piece of cucumber!
    They are happily sitting together in a cardboard box toy at the moment in the run so I am hoping this doesnt carry on but its quite upsetting isnt it.
    I guess this is normal behaviour for dominance.

14. helen105281

Forum Donator 2016/17

Oh bless them that is exactly what Amelie and Jessica are doing too. Is while they sort the pecking order. Our dynamic seems to have changed over the last day with Jess being more dominant.

15. muggins

just a quick update on the piggy girls who were fighting when one was pregnant. now that the babies have been born(1 boy 2 girls) and are now weaned (seven weeks old now) things have settled down now .the boy was separated from mum and sisters and is now away to new home.patch (mum) and the girlscoco and cookie were only separated from spot (the other female ) by a wire divider so were still able to see/smell each other. they were gradually introduced in an outside run.after the first 2 times when there was some rumble strutting and teeth chattering from mum,and a few scuffles persistance has paid off with all four girls living together now.a change in leader of the herd now .it was patch the mum but now its spot.not having a family to raise has seen her grow bigger than patch .still keeping an eye on them as spot still doesnt have alot of patience with the young coco and cookie being too close but she certainly doesnt chase or chatter her teeth at them ,just a quick nudge and squeak . hope this lengthy reply helps others in same plight and hope to those who are having the same stroppy problems with thei teenag girl guineapigs

Treacle & co likes this.
  16. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

What you are experiencing right now is typical for group dominance and making sure that the youngsters "know their place". It will subside one Spot feel secure in her new role as top sow.

17. Carly and co

Carly and co New Member

How bad is it when a Guinea Pig shows her teeth and hisses and growls at another pig? Ive been trying to introduce my 2 sows who live seperately, the usual stuff going on like rumbling, hair going up and teeth chattering, but then this happened last night,is this so badthat they wont get on, I'm scared to put them together without a divider in case theres a hugh fight.
    Thanks
    xx

18. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

I would leave them with a divider and only have them together when you are there to supervise. Sometimes the softly, softly slooooooow approach works better with older piggies who have issues. Getting to know each other over a long time seems to work better in those cases, although success is not guaranteed; some piggies will decide that they don't like sharing their life with others!

19. muggins

rumble strutting

the saga goes on with patch and spot ! our trio of sows has settled in nicley with patch and coco (mother and daughter) living in relative harmony with spot(same age as patch , no relation).as ive said on previous messaging i thought spot had taken over as head girl ,however ive noticed patch rumble strutting with the teeth chattering in a slow deliberate way not face to face but in front of spot in an almost provocative manner. her body is carried high ,head low but an almost weaving motion . as far as i can tell this hasnt come to much ,the confrontation never come to blows as such, just followed by alot of squeeking. its almost male type behavior ,when he shows off to females.is this just a deviation on rumble strut behavior?

20. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

You see this behaviour when a sow comes into a stronger season as well. The top sow knows it for what it is. The worst should be over within a day or two, although in some cases the rumbling can last a bit longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.