• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sow health check...what should i be looking for and ovrian cyst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello my lovelies,

I'm going to do a health check over the other herd this week, can anyone guide me to what i should be looking out for in sows? I check my boys over every day for illness etc, but this tribe is not mine they belong to my OH's sister but ive noticed over the past few months maise has a lump on her side....any ideas...my first thought was ovrian cyst.....:(
MeandMaisiemoo.jpg

I know she needs her nails doing too, I'm going to be clipping the herd tomorrow... :)

I don't look for anything special in sows. They are easier to health check than boars because they tend not to get things stuck anywhere!

Just the usual nails, ears, and a good check over with your hands for any lumps, scabs or irritations. Check there's no discharge for any orifices. :(|)

I don't know about the lump you have seen on Maisie. I would suggest a vet check as it could be a number of things.

From the piccie ...assuming it is showing the lump on this side that we can see....?

She looks a bit "wasted" on her back (worrying) and the lump is evident on her side. How much does she weigh?....and how old is she?

She needs to be checked by a cavy savvy vet ...from what i can see in terrms of it's positioning (hanging low) the lump could just be a benign lipoma but it needs checking as the wasting on the back is the thing to be concerned about.

Other things to check for: ear mites/gunk in ears; toenails/feet; wees (for bladder probs) and poos (consistency, size and frequency).....all over check for skin probs/wounds/lumps etc; monitor how veg is eaten for first signs of dental probs (ie not eating whole leaves but picking and dropping veggies...and not eating dry food or biting it into small pieces)

Hope she's OK..let us know where you are if you need a cavy savvy vet.

x

From the piccie ...assuming it is showing the lump on this side that we can see....?

She looks a bit "wasted" on her back (worrying) and the lump is evident on her side. How much does she weigh?....and how old is she?

She needs to be checked by a cavy savvy vet ...from what i can see in terrms of it's positioning (hanging low) the lump could just be a benign lipoma but it needs checking as the wasting on the back is the thing to be concerned about.

Other things to check for: ear mites/gunk in ears; toenails/feet; wees (for bladder probs) and poos (consistency, size and frequency).....all over check for skin probs/wounds/lumps etc; monitor how veg is eaten for first signs of dental probs (ie not eating whole leaves but picking and dropping veggies...and not eating dry food or biting it into small pieces)

Hope she's OK..let us know where you are if you need a cavy savvy vet.

x

Yeah its the lump on the side....going to weigh her know will get back to you on her weight...and age i have no idea I'm assuming shes over four years as thats how long ive been with my OH and i can remember her when i first started dating my OH lol!

Right, i have been very worried over her for a few weeks know but shes not my pig so i was thinking of taking her to my boys vet (hes a small animal exotic vet) and getting her checked out...poor dolly.

I've started to take charge of the herds care...I'm thinking of (gradually)changing their museli mix to nuggets and they are getting, now, veggies on a daily basis, as well as unlimited hay. I will keep an eye on her wee and droppings.

I feel awful and in one of those cross situations, shes not my pig and although i'd do anything for her Ive already been told to leave off her pigs when i cleaned them out last year, i'll have a chat to my OH about the situation :(

Good on you to have that lump checked out by vet. I don't think that it is necessarily an ovarian cyst.

Please include mouth, eyes, ears (dirt and wax ). Check the breathing by holding the piggie against you ear. Check the nipples for any changes like crusts. Privates, of course. Check for lumps and bumps and any bald patches that shouldn't be there. Check the underside of the paws.

Thank you, i was just worried as ive never felt any large 'ball' like lumps on my boys before and was a tad worried. I've just weighed her, she is 985g. Will be checking her belly, back,nipples and ears etc in two mins...as she hasnt been handled much before i dont want to scare her with all the handling that ive been giving her the past few days, the other girls seem to be in good health (895g) no lumps bumps etc. I cant get hold of the boy though (well i can) but he is a very nervous pig, and jumps at any chance he can get, so i tried to weight him but he wriggled to much and i didnt want to put him under any more stress. Compared to my boys hes very light!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back