Sowing a lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey, we have quite a large back garden, it was a lot bigger but we had an extension built a few years ago and when the builders came to fix everything back up they kinda buried a lot of rubble under the garden and sowed a lawn on top. So our lawn is really horrible and I wanted to build a run for my boys, but I wanted to sow some nice grass first. So I've decided on an area for them and started to remove the top layer of rubbish grass and soil and am planning on putting new topsoil down and sowing the seed, which I need to get done pretty fast. However, as the soil is full of rubble it's really difficult to dig, and I have very little upper body strength, so I guess what I'm asking is, is there an easier way of doing this? Or perhaps a way of fixing the grass that's already there without all the super hard work?
I've tried looking on the internet, but it's hard to find the info I'm after as I'm not good with the gardening lingo lol
Any help at all would be appreciated x>>

2280CLAIRE

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had this trouble when I moved into my flat, it is a victorian building that got split into 7 flats, and they put loads of rubble in the garden area-including mine, when they converted it. The other half helped me dig up alot of the broken bricks and stones etc, and we tried top soil and some grass seed. The grass seed took, and then sort of died and went patchy. So now we've put ALOT of top soil down and put turf down instead. It has taken alot better, but does require daily watering until it really takes properly.

As much as possible, you do need to remove the stones and bricks. Apart from it being horrid for anything to grow on, they will get stuck in your lawn mower. You can also buy garden sieves to get rid of stones, you just need to loosen the ground up first with a fork. There is no easy way of doing it, I'm afraid, it takes alot of hard work, and if there is alot of rubble, you probably will need to lay down new turf every couple of years, as the ground just won't be very fertile. According to my neighbour, who's garden is next to mine, this is what he does. You should also get some fertiliser for the grass before you lay the turf, too...

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Aw I didn't think there would be an easy answer lol thanks so much for your reply. I guess if I do it in bits I could have it done by Sunday, and once it's dug up that's the hardest part done. It's only a small rectangle of 4m x 1m. I was thinking I'd need to dig quite deep, but not sure how deep exactly?xox

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How much extra depth can the area handle? There won't be a lot of nourishment there for grass or laid turf. You can buy topsoil by the ton and probably hire someone to spread it. I'd put down a ton of topsoil after just picking up the worst bricks etc, then level this and lay turf on top.

Mind you, if you have no money either then just keep digging!

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd just say get a man who can! But that's my answer to everything! :))

lol thats my answer too, especially if it is a lot of heavy digging and lifting. There are a lot of garden clearance companies out there, no idea how much they cost though, good luck anyway xx

Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to keep digging mallethead why do I start these things lol I expect lots of hugs and love from my piggies for this, though I won't hold my breath :)) And in the meantime I'm off to find a man who can, again though, I will not hold my breath :(|)

Reaction score
Hah... I got a man that can! I woke up this morning and I've wrecked my back 8... so I'm paying my big strapping brother to do it! He'd do it for nothing, but I can't ask that, it's such hard work, but he makes it look easy mallethead

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Brothers are totally brilliant! I recommend them, they will even work for food:)) (if they're not in a relationship)!

I'm very sory about the back, take care with it because bad backs can be really difficult to get well again.

Reaction score
Brothers are totally brilliant! I recommend them, they will even work for food:)) (if they're not in a relationship)!

I'm very sory about the back, take care with it because bad backs can be really difficult to get well again.

Lol I wished I'd have thought of him first! And then I wished I'd have thought of food as well :))

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
ouchies how's your back fairing? :...

Glad to hear your brother is going to help out :)
When we shifted into another house when i was about 20 mum and I spent soooo many weekends in the front garden digging down for more than a foot, my mum was determined to get rid of the weeds :(|) It worked for a long time too! It was worth the sitting on the ground and getting a numb bum :))
Now my dad doesn't weed very often............ ahh oh well!

It WILL be worth it you'll be rapt when your grass is growing, piccies will be required too!

Reaction score
ouchies how's your back fairing? :...

Glad to hear your brother is going to help out :)
When we shifted into another house when i was about 20 mum and I spent soooo many weekends in the front garden digging down for more than a foot, my mum was determined to get rid of the weeds :(|) It worked for a long time too! It was worth the sitting on the ground and getting a numb bum :))
Now my dad doesn't weed very often............ ahh oh well!

It WILL be worth it you'll be rapt when your grass is growing, piccies will be required too!

Hey Glynis, the backs much better now, thank you x>>
Aw bummer! I hate weeds, they have soom roots on them! My granda always used to come down and do our garden, it was always lovely, but my dad isn't very greenfingered, so it can look a bit like a tip, especially the front!
My brother dug it up so easily I near died! How weak am I lol but tomorrow I'm going to have to clear the rubble the builders buried and take out all the weeds, but the horrible hard work part is over! I can't wait to get it done now, I'm going to plant some herbs and edible flowers in a bed too.
Oh and I have a lovely big run ordered, 6 x 2, I was going to make my own, but by the time I would have bought all the timber, mesh and other bits and pieces it wouldn't have been any cheaper.
So hopefully in a few weeks time I'll have some pictures to show you of my piggies enjoying their fresh pastures wohooooooo :))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.