• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Spayed sows with uneutered boars

AlexandraDesi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It seems like it wouldn't work in my mind. Wouldn't the boars be trying to have sex with the sows constantly? Can they coexist happily or would it cause problems?

You can have one unneutered boar with one or more spayed sows. The sows will only let the boar mate with her when she is in season. It works the same way as a neutered boar with a sow or group of sows

It seems like it wouldn't work in my mind. Wouldn't the boars be trying to have sex with the sows constantly? Can they coexist happily or would it cause problems?

Spayed sows can live with a full boar without problems; I know of quite a few very happy pairings!

They do not come into season, so there is no regular mating although a boar may occasionally get frisky, depending on his own age and whether he is dominant or not.

Spayed sows will however still dominance mount, as my spayed Hafren is showing with her now equally spayed Iola. They are still exhibiting all the normal interactive social behaviours.

Acceptance mounting during a cross gender bonding can also still happen (the same as when you bond a neutered boar with a full sow); but that again is interactive behaviour common to all guinea pigs and not sexual mating.

Back