• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Spider Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK guys I need your help,
Spiders have moved into my pig room :o. There is one huge one that lives on the window and lots of little and medium ones all over. They are different types and there are webs. I really don't like them they make me very jumpy... I know its an irrational fear but I can't help it. Anyway I need them to move out because its making it very unpleasant for me to be with my piggers any ideas? Can you repel them in any way? Now and again I get Adam to humanely remove one by taking it outside but I am sure the same spiders just come back. Don't want to kill them if I can help it... but vacuming them up is sounding pretty good to me a the mo... though I would then be afraid of the vaac inacse they came out. ::) Ridiculous but true :-\

You can buy a little trap thingy that is a clear box on a stick and a slidy lid - you but box over spider, slide lid over then let it go outside. You do have to get near the spiders then though!

Please don't vacuum them up. Spiders are one of my favourite creatures! Use a glass and slide paper underneath.
Wish I was there for you - I love playing with them. ;D

Aww I don't want to hurt them honest just can't handle them. Have left them for ages trying to figure out a nice way to evict them lol. Trap idea counds good but don't know if I could do it unless it had a really long arm

Susie, they really won't hurt you! Think how big you are to them! It is easier to pick them up if you wash your hands in cold water first so I guess something cold would be better for scooping them up with. I just pick them up ;D ;D ;D, so can't think at the mo how else you could.

By the way one day I am going to get a Chilean Rose Tarantula - would you like to come and meet him? ;D

Aww Susie I know how you feel - I have a huge fear of spiders and a few other insects, however I never want to hurt them. I would feel bad - but I get very nervous being around them ;D ;D

Kate's idea sounds the best to me.. but maybe Adam could help you with it since you need to be close to them? (eek! lol)

Hope they go away !

Livie x

Leave it to Adam! LOL Mike deals with all the 'spider incidents'! Glass and paper to catch them, while I go elsewhere and hide! 2funny

I'm the same - I really get nervous when there are spiders around. I'm not too bad with the small ones, but the bigger ones make me run! hehe I know i'm a lot bigger but they have 8 legs and I only have two, so I think thats what it is that makes me jump about them. I dont kill 'them though, as I much prefer spiders to bluebottles! I have a few round Squeaks housing at the minute. Theres a quite large one that lives at the back of the lid, so I hate lifting it up and putting my head underneath it, I do it REALLY quick! hehe BUT give them their due, since they have moved in, I havent seen many flys ;D ;D ;D

Steve my partner, has moved one of the MASSIVE ones for me, but I've named the other big one Ralph, and since then, he hasnt seemed as scary... ;D ;D

Try naming them - it helped for me - or maybe i'm just loopy! haha :D :D

x

I wallop them with my shoe, sorry to say that all you spider fans out there.
I dont have a problems with small ones in my house, can even touch them. I dont have a problem with the ones that are huge - long thing legs and small body. However I HATE the ones with the big fat body and short hairy legs.
The ones that tend to sit in your bathtub in the morning, the ones you notice once you have already stepped in to have a shower *shudders*

I kill them. And then I am too afraid to touch them to clean up even though they are dead - so boyfriend has to do it.
He tells me to just catch them and carry them out - yeah right, and then they come in again next time I have the window open.

I dont mind spiders in sheds and in my garage - but in my own house I do not want to have to shake my shoe out every morning to be on the safe side.

you daft lot have you ever seen the size of you compared to a tiny little spider, good idea about naming them, just think how much good they are doing for getting rid of flies my pet hate, I often leave webs so the spiders stay to get at the flies those that make it past my fly zapper that is,
I regularly get a feather duster and clean all webs out mostly ones that are not used any more, but leave any fresh ones, if you keep cleaning the webs up the spiders will get the hint and move off,
its slugs that I cant stand but we have found a famiy of hedgehogs in our garden so they are keeping the population down, and I spread salt along the bottom of the sheds doors.

I have got some spiders in my pig shed. There is a massive one up the corner at the moment. :o. but he doesnt bother me. I am ok with spiders.. now if it were a WASP >:( >:( >:( >:(...I would be running for the hills. Arrrgh me no like them at all...nasty horrible stingy things.

Deb x

Michelle, I'm the same. I cannot stand slugs. They are disgusting.

Spiders are beautiful. I am looking at one on the wall right now. Little loves.

I have named the big spider. I called her Charlotte as in Charlotte's web. Maybe she talks to the pigs...

I don't like spiders either, I can cope with putting small ones out but the big ones......... I can't kill them but can't be in the same room either, usually run screaming until a passerby takes pity on me.

I've seen a gadget in Lakeland that hoovers up spiders alive so you can release them outside. It's quite long so you don't need to get too close, might get one. I also read if you hoover them up in a vacuum cleaner they just crawl out again so I don't do that!

well it would be cruel to hoover them up with the intention of killing them.

I mean, the big black hairy ones I hate so much arent even really useful!

the small ones make webs, those black ones are too big for that, they just eat all the useful little spiders that catch flies!

I dont mind the spiders that do webs. Spiderwebs can look beautiful.

Charlotte has gone today! She is there everyday on her web in the corner by the window, (its a strange web very closely done and near to the ground, not like a classic web) sometimes she moves a few centimeters but today I can't see her. Just after I named her too. I was down there for ages yesterday and I managed ok... even when she started moving around. I hope she doesn't turn up somewhere I least expect her and give me a fright! Don't worry Lucinda I am not going to vaac them up... but I am looking for a trap to take them out. Might walk them across the street to the park and let them go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back