Split Ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed last night that Jack has a split in one of his ears. He had a small split in it since we got him and it doesnt seem to bother him but it looks like it has got bigger. I can only assume that he has been fighting with Victor. What should i do? Does he need to go to a vet?

Victor seems to be the more dominant male, he is a bit bigger than Jack. Victor seems a bit grumpy towards Jack and prefers to be in his house. If Jack goes in his house then Victor kicks him out. However, Jack has set up home in one of the tubes now, but Victor still rules the roost and lies there if he likes, leaving Jack lying in the cage. I know, it is like a soap opera!

I'm just worried that they might end up having a proper fight. I've only had them a wee but they dont seem to play together. Jack has started popcorning and i caught Victor doing this same this morning so i think they are happy enough. Hmmm... sorry, you can tell i'm a new owner!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It could easibly be that the ear got caught in a tussle or the split could have happened when the ear was nibbled/chewedby his mate (which piggies do sometimes).

What your boys are doing is normal dominance behaviour, so I would not worry.

Here is a good description of the danger signs in boar behaviour:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

Reaction score
Hey, I have 2 girlies, which I have had a week. And what a week it has been! Mine are displaying exactly the same behaviour as yours. There just pups, and about 4 weeks (estimation). The dominant one ( Esme ) sits in her house until I deliver the hay and the veggies and Bella is forced to lie on a pile of hay, which she looks soooo cute on! Whenever she goes near the house, Esme nudges her out. I am waiting for the arrival of the equipment for my C&C cage, so hopefully, when they have more space, they shouldn't be like this.
Whats strange is that both of mine have tiny little, almost V shapes out of one of their ears too. They had these when I bought them, and I'm wondering, did you get yours from a pet store? Because it may be something they do there?

Status
Not open for further replies.