• FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Spring greens

Big Len

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Since losing my lovely Lenny I have been a bit obsessed with making sure my newer boys are getting the best diet I can realistically provide. Including fresh grass grown from seed on my kitchen windowsill. My question is what are spring greens in your opinion.
Also one of their favourites is lettuice, all kinds (no iceburg given) but especially romaine. Is it ok to give them lettuce daily as long as portion sizes are considered and other veg are offered alongside. Ed does not like peppers of any colour 🙄 but Elvis eats anything going! Thank you in advance for your collective wisdom. X

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes lettuce daily is fine. My piggies get a leaf each every morning then the rest of their veg in the afternoon. Coriander is another good source of vitamin c if they don’t like pepper. But you can keep trying.

I used to give my boys spring greens when I first had them. But switched over to lettuce and stopped it completely. I do occasionally (rarely) give them a small piece each if I buy for our consumption.

Hath

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys won't eat spring greens much, really strange they actually leave it. I think they get bored of it?
I've always check if salad mix contains spinach, but they didn't have their usual salad leaf mix this time and bought bistro salad only to Google later it contains chard which is quite high on calcium!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My boys won't eat spring greens much, really strange they actually leave it. I think they get bored of it?
I've always check if salad mix contains spinach, but they didn't have their usual salad leaf mix this time and bought bistro salad only to Google later it contains chard which is quite high on calcium!
Bistro salad is fine as an occasional treat, my piggies get a bag once a week as a treat.
Chard is medium-high calcium but not as high as spinach or parsley. Usually if my piggies get a higher calcium leaf selection I dont feed any pellets that day, just scatter feed the leaves over hay- even lower calcium pellets can contain 4x as much calcium as high calcium veg! Bistro salad scattered everywhere is a big hit here anyway, much more popular than a dish of boring pellets :)

Hath

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bistro salad is fine as an occasional treat, my piggies get a bag once a week as a treat.
Chard is medium-high calcium but not as high as spinach or parsley. Usually if my piggies get a higher calcium leaf selection I dont feed any pellets that day, just scatter feed the leaves over hay- even lower calcium pellets can contain 4x as much calcium as high calcium veg! Bistro salad scattered everywhere is a big hit here anyway, much more popular than a dish of boring pellets :)
Thanks for that info. My boys love their varsele laga pellets, especially if it's only a spoon each! But good idea to feed one or the other. I bought two bags, luckily I like the bagels with avocado and bistro salad :)) I still have a bag of bistro salad to eat...
It's actually crazy how the leavers look like a spinach!

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feed spring greens/leafy greens, lettuce and pepper every day. They have cucumber every other day and on days when they don't have cucumber they get a veg or two that must be fed more sparingly. If I don't have anything else they can have they just get Cucumber, greens, lettuce and pepper. Cucumber can be fed daily but my 2 get bored of it if they have it everyday.
My question is what are spring greens in your opinion.
If here you mean what actually are spring greens it is a low calcium version of kale which we have in the UK. Sometimes it's called leafy greens but they're the same thing.

Big Len

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. Very helpful and reassuring. I will not worry too much about trying to locate spring greens then as my current diet plan is pretty close to what you recomend above and in your diet guides. X
happy New Year all 🍾