• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Squinting eye

Sarah330

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my names sarah, my piggy’s name is Cece, She’s a little over a year old. About a day or so ago I noticed she was doing a strange thing with her left eye. Its almost like shes closing it slightly, like its kinda hard for her to keep it open. Its ONLY her left eye, her right one is completely normal. I noticed some discharge around her left, but it was a small amount. Nearly unnoticeable. She has a vets appointment the 4th of November, but I just wanted to check here to see if maybe it might be more urgent! Any advice would help, thank you lovelies!

Hi, my names sarah, my piggy’s name is Cece, She’s a little over a year old. About a day or so ago I noticed she was doing a strange thing with her left eye. Its almost like shes closing it slightly, like its kinda hard for her to keep it open. Its ONLY her left eye, her right one is completely normal. I noticed some discharge around her left, but it was a small amount. Nearly unnoticeable. She has a vets appointment the 4th of November, but I just wanted to check here to see if maybe it might be more urgent! Any advice would help, thank you lovelies!

Hi!

Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly; they should be ideally seen within 24 hours. Hey pokes or a scratchy bit of hay wedged firmly under a lid are not at all uncommon in guinea pigs. The sooner your piggy can be treated, the easier and quicker the recovery. What you are describing is typical for discomfort/pain or an ongoing irritation in the eye.

If you see a whiteish/light blue dot appear on the eye surface, then you are dealing with ulceration (infection).

A general vet will do as eye medication (antibiotic eye drops or gel) and treatment is the same in all common pet species.

PS: We are doing our best to answer any threads on the forum as soon as possible during UK day time hours and considering that we are all doing this for free in our free time. This section is specially monitored by experienced members with a badge in their signature. You can help us much better by putting the problem in the title, so we can attend to the most urgent problems first. There is no need to try and grab our attention. You will get it! Thank you.

Hi!

Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly; they should be ideally seen within 24 hours. Hey pokes or a scratchy bit of hay wedged firmly under a lid are not at all uncommon in guinea pigs. The sooner your piggy can be treated, the easier and quicker the recovery. What you are describing is typical for discomfort/pain or an ongoing irritation in the eye.

If you see a whiteish/light blue dot appear on the eye surface, then you are dealing with ulceration (infection).

A general vet will do as eye medication (antibiotic eye drops or gel) and treatment is the same in all common pet species.

PS: We are doing our best to answer any threads on the forum as soon as possible during UK day time hours and considering that we are all doing this for free in our free time. This section is specially monitored by experienced members with a badge in their signature. You can help us much better by putting the problem in the title, so we can attend to the most urgent problems first. There is no need to try and grab our attention. You will get it! Thank you.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply. I’ll make sure to add a more descriptive title next time I have a question, I’m very new to the forum! I’ll get Cece into a vet as soon as i possibly can. You’ve been a big help, thank you!

General vets can attend to eyes as treatment is the same across the board. I hope your girl is better soon.

Back