• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Staffies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We're thinking about getting a dog. I was brought up with Cavalier King Charles and they are so gentle and adorable. I've noticed lots of people have Staffies and was wondering what their nature is like? My OH says they look scary ::) but I think they must be ok as lots of people seem to have them. What are they like with kids, bunnies and guinea pigs?

Like any dog, if you bring them up right and respect that these are powerful dogs despite their size, they are fine. They have a great temperament with humans...believe it or not they have been bred to love two legs rather than four! They are also one of two breeds that the Kennel Club recognises as safe with kids and they are nick-named Nanny dogs. Mine is brilliant with our pigs, my old boar used to cuddle up to her, follow her around and bite her nails!
They are very intelligent, easy to train...ours competes in agility.
Ours doesn't like strange dogs that are "in her face" and will give a warning which is often not taken on board by the other dog and several minor fights have occured, but that was partly down to other owner error too as we keep her on a lead around other dogs. She was attacked at an agility club as a pup and she's never forgotten it, so it is probably just her.
They are fantastic dogs and would recommend them, but be prepared for lots of prejudice against them....people crossing the street, people whisking their snarling yapping little dogs from the huge scary beast incase it eats it etc.
They attract two kinds of people....down to earth people with a good sense of humour and fun loving (like themselves) and idiots who think they look vicious and will make them look hard. Sadly it is these people who have given them the wrong image and the majority of people choose not to see past that. I would say try and meet a few, ask lots of questions and then decide.

I have had three rescue Cavaliers in the past and they are the most wonderful dogs, however I now have 2 staffie girls and as Heidi said they are wonderful caracters very much more lively than the cavies but in a good way, they are wonderful with children as a rule and are called the nanny dog because of this. Of course as with any dog they must be trained properly and the children taught to respect the dogs too. I would thoroughly recommend a staffie but do still have a very soft spot for the cavaliers, I intend to have more when I am an old lady!! however my aunt had a lovely staffie who she walked herself everyday when she was well into her 80`s so who knows maybe i`ll have both :D

On page 2 of chit chat on this site is "something for you staffie lovers" which is very funny but true of many dogs not just staffies I think, I still got 2 staffies despite reading it and practicing the exersises ;D

Well we have one, hes great but does like any dog/companion animal/pet take a lot of time and effort - well worth it :)

They are great characters, need a lot of training - we did try but Jed still pulls like mad on the lead!

Been thru a tough year with him with 2 big ops - a prolaspe on the ureatha and cruciate ligament in the knee thats still causing problems.

Jeds friendly and fine with children but does end up knocking peopple over due to his size/strength - we pre warn visitors tho so they are prepared, no one minds they all love him!

He is fine with the rabbit/guineas, once use to them he innores them, but i would never leave him with them or any other dog - as hes not use to this and gets too excited by the guineas if they are out in the house - hes also very unsteady on his legs at the mo so trips over things.

Staffies have at times had a bad press and lots have attracted the wrong owners, the only ones ive known are wonderful dogs - so loyal and great characters.I get parents looking very worried when their kids come to say hello (Jed just sits quietly to be fussed when out - i always tell kids its ok to stroke him if they ask first) I find little yappy dogs scare Jed!

Theres more and more in rescues these days thru no fault of there own.

http://www.sbtrescue.org.uk/index.htm (warning case historys shows neglected dogs)

This is my local rescue who seem to get lots of staffies now!
http://www.forestdogrescue.org.uk/

Alison

jedpuppics-1.jpg

DSCN4085.jpg

I lost my staffie x last year at the age of 16. :'( :'( :'( :'(

he was the most loyal of dogs I have ever owned, stayed at my childrens sides when they were babies.
He was gentle and loving with all my animals and nursed my first ever litter of persians.

he was strong on the lead that was the only thing much better off

karen

What fab pictures of Jed how cute he was as a pup, and still is of course ;)

I too had a staffy that was 16 when he died,I miss him every day,He was the most loving dog ever and I miss him dearly.
I have a blue staffy now and I love her so much,She came from a bad home but I hope she's forgotten about that now.
I was so sorry to hear of your loss Karen,Staffy's are wonderful dog's kind and loving especially with children.
Bye for now
Heidi x

Thanks for your advice. My son is quite scared of dogs, even my mum's very gentle Cavalier! I'll definitely consider a Staffy if we get a dog (working on the OH at the moment!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back