• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Stange movement!

Bubble64

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. I have 4 boards in 2 pairs. One of them about 1 and a half years old is still getting used to handling and finds it quite scary (he tried to hide in my jacket). When I pick him up, he immediately sticks his front legs out straight amd freezes. Because he sticks his legs out, it makes it hard to hold him in a safe and comfortable way. If there is a time he doesnt do this he squirms lots and lots making it really hard to carry him to a seat. I only hold him when I am taking him to scales to be weighed or to a seat where he can be on my lap so it's not like I spend ages just stood up. I also can't use a hide, tunnel or box because he has learned to avoid those and I cant guide him in as he is so fast! Any ideas on why he does that, how I can possibly prevent it or what I could do to make it easier? Thanks in advance!

He is possibly doing it to avoid being held.

Yes they are fast when they learn to avoid going into a box but the way I do it with very skittish piggies is to create a kind of wall so there isnt a way back, the only option is into the box/carrier. I can’t say they still go in voluntarily but it’s easier to make them go into it, and certainly easier to pick them up from the box

When I adopted my Rainbow Piggy Lovely Lexi and The One and Only Thea of the Funky Fringe, they were virtually feral. Lexi was the fasted piggy I had ever met and they both hated any sort of handling. I hand fed them their veggies every night for 6 months so that they would get used to me, my smell and learn that my hands weren't scary as they had food in them. Gradually, they slowed down and became curious whenever they heard my voice. I couldn't get them in any sort of carrier, snugglesack or box very easily. Getting them in the run and back in the hutch was fun. After around 14 -15 months of having them they learnt that if they went in a snuggle sack to the command "in you go" it meant they were going in the run to have breakfast or going back in the hutch to have veggies. Thea and Lexi both went into the snuggle sack voluntarily in the end. Now I have Bramble, Misty and Thea and they all go in the snuggle sack with no problems most of the time. I only have to put the snuggle sack in the hutch and Thea just walks into it now. It takes time and patience. Some piggies never get used to being picked up and handled and you just have to accept that and only handle them for the essential weight and health checks.

Take it at your piggie's pace and not yours. It can take a long time. If his prey instincts are high, then he may never calm down enough to enjoy a cuddle or being picked up, just enjoy him as he is.

Thank you. Definitely helpful and good to know that I'm not alone 🙂

Back