Starting with questions

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a few questions:
My one (Oreo) makes a lot of noise by biting on the water bottle's metal tip. Is this natural or do I need to do something?
What is the best kind of bedding to use?
Thank you

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Noisy drinkers are not uncommon.
I have one who is silent and one who likes the whole street to know he is having a drink (I am looking at you Harry!).

As to bedding a lot will depnd on the type of cage you have and where your piggies live,(inside, outside, shed, etc).

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Noisy drinkers are not uncommon.
I have one who is silent and one who likes the whole street to know he is having a drink (I am looking at you Harry!).

As to bedding a lot will depnd on the type of cage you have and where your piggies live,(inside, outside, shed, etc).
It's a regular piggy cage and I have them inside. Right now (the way I adopted them) there are chips on the floor. Thanks for the help

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Mine are the same - one drinks quietly, the other likes to gnaw, tug, bash the bottle!

Bslow are our bedding guides which cover the choices. Which one you choose comes down to your personal preference.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Below is our cage size guide.
If you have two sows then the minimum cage size is 120cm x 60cm but 150cm x 60cm is better if possible.
if you have two boars they they require much more space, a cage of 180cm x 60cm is necessary

Cage Size Guide

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been through about every type of bedding you could think of in the course of my guinea pig ownership 😂

For the longest time I used wood shavings, as they are the quickest for spot cleaning. However any wet veg always got covered in shavings, and shavings get everywhere!

Wood chips always seemed a bit hard underfoot and not snuggly enough.

Fleece make it super hard to get the hay off.

Paper based bedding wasn’t very cost effective for me.

However I have been using fleece for the last year, and it’s my favourite. I have a waterproof fleece liner for the main part of their cage, reusable human pee pads with a bath mat over the top in their favourite wee corner, and lino in their kitchen and hay area. When I had a smaller cage I used to wash and swap their fleece every other day, so two fleeces is a must if you go down that route. The initial outlay is expensive, but fleece will last a long time, so is probably the cheaper option over all. It’s nice to see the boys all snuggled in on a soft flooring though, plus it looks nicer in general ☺

Hope some of that helped. At the end of the day though it’s all about what suits you best and what works for you.

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have been through about every type of bedding you could think of in the course of my guinea pig ownership 😂

For the longest time I used wood shavings, as they are the quickest for spot cleaning. However any wet veg always got covered in shavings, and shavings get everywhere!

Wood chips always seemed a bit hard underfoot and not snuggly enough.

Fleece make it super hard to get the hay off.

Paper based bedding wasn’t very cost effective for me.

However I have been using fleece for the last year, and it’s my favourite. I have a waterproof fleece liner for the main part of their cage, reusable human pee pads with a bath mat over the top in their favourite wee corner, and lino in their kitchen and hay area. When I had a smaller cage I used to wash and swap their fleece every other day, so two fleeces is a must if you go down that route. The initial outlay is expensive, but fleece will last a long time, so is probably the cheaper option over all. It’s nice to see the boys all snuggled in on a soft flooring though, plus it looks nicer in general ☺

Hope some of that helped. At the end of the day though it’s all about what suits you best and what works for you.
Where can I buy fleece?

Sweet Potato

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is Oreo a lone piggie or does he have a friend? noisy drinkers are common neither of mine are particularly quiet. I use fleece, you can by ready made liners but I just use a fleece blanket over some old towels because the initial costs were cheaper and one blanket fits my cage perfectly.

YorkshireLass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pistachio can be heard drinking from all over the house! I like to think Cashew rolls his eyes...

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Is Oreo a lone piggie or does he have a friend? noisy drinkers are common neither of mine are particularly quiet. I use fleece, you can by ready made liners but I just use a fleece blanket over some old towels because the initial costs were cheaper and one blanket fits my cage perfectly.
No, Oreo has a friend, Max. They seem to get along well with each other. I got them from someone who couldn't have them anymore. This is a whole new experience to me. Yesterday a friend and I cleaned out their cage (I got them on Sept. 30th). After everything was put back together, we each held one. Oreo likes to be held (my friend held him the first day I got them, but Max ran away all the time. Yesterday though I was able to catch him and hold him for quite a while. He even closed his eyes and started falling asleep. I love my new babies.

YorkshireLass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Piggies can be skittish for months so you’re clearly a safe place for them!