• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Static lice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wanted to ask a few days ago but couldn't get onto the website anyway the other day I was holding my younger piggy Alvin who is completely black apart from a few ginger patches and noticed small brown speckles all over home which I am not 100% sure but think are moving. He also has dry flaky skin, I don't notice him excessively scratching but must be somewhat to cause flaky skin.

He doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain so I know its only mild but must cause minor irritation. Also thought that if it is irritating him could be part of the cause of him being slightly aggressive. Anyway I don't know what else it is, the speckles are towards the ends of his fur, not all based at the skin. So I'm assuming its either static or running lice.

I have ordered lice 'n' easy from gorgeous guineas as heard this worked best. So will be bathing Alvin with it during the week. Should I bath Harvey (my other guinea pig) with it too as a preventative, they both live in separate hutches and haven't found any on Harvey but better to be safe than sorry.

Just want to check this is the best method :)

Ivermectin is usually recommended for fur mites/static lice. Xeno 450 spot-on is a good product. If additionally treating with lice'n'easy, you need to leave at least 48 hours before bathing after spot-on treatment. Static lice turn up typically in autumn hay. You need to dispose the hay if that is the case and disinfect the cage.

http://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back