Still Nipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just had a cuddle with Fudge, he seems ok and not nervous and wheeks when I put him back in his cage and doesn't struggle to get away from me, so I assume he doesn't mind/enjoys it. However he reciprocates by nipping my hand. Does anyone know why and will he eventually stop? It isn't painful nipping, just something he seems to do and has done since being little.

Kathryn x

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If he's nibbling and not biting, he might be having a taste! They do like salt and you could try putting a salt lick in his cage but I would'nt leave it in all the time.

G

GuineaPiggable

Yep, Id add a salt lick. Or if he nips you again, just kind of push him a little, or give a nudge, to let him know he gets a reaction and he isnt just nipping like his food bowl or something.

B

Beaney

Tia nibbles me - it doesn't hurt and there is no agression with it. I think she's just curious about me because she is still really young. She nibbles my clothes as well - little minx! ::)

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Malcolm likes to lick and nibble. It's all v friendly, although he gets a bit carried away sometimes - especially when I've been to the gym (extra salty I suppose) :D

H

hils78

Emily was a bit like that - terrible teens. She never really hurt but I didn't give her the chance to get savage. She's about 1 now & has pretty much grown out of it. I just made sure my hands weren't salty before I picked her up by washing them in hand wash (not a tasty smell either!). She's the ost sociable girl now. It was a bit of a shock when it first happened because I have never experienced an unprovoked bite.

(Before anyone questions me, I was bitten when i was 13 because I stupidly put my hand into a cage where my mums 2 male guineas were fighting to try & stop them. They had decided that their friendship was up after 2years! I have a very nice scar on the web between my little finger & ring finger - boy it bled & bled & bled.....you get the idea. No piggy baiting going on!)

Status
Not open for further replies.