• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Still Not Eating Dry Food After Two Dentals, Has A Uri And Losing Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I went through near enough similar problems with Scruffy my 6 month old - he had dental issues from 26th December and I syringe fed him for over two weeks! After that he still wouldn't take dry food so I stopped crushing pellets and just added hot water to them he then hand fed for a further 2 weeks. He refused all veg & hay during this time. He went down to 465g which was very worrying! He had two dentals - our vet said he had problems with his back molars which was affecting his bite and also a spike of tooth on one side and a very deep root. Anyway a couple of weeks ago we were at the end of our tether and so worried we would lose him - he had one final chance at vets or he was taking the Piggy Train to visit Debbie & Simon! Up until then our older dentist had not wanted to give him any pain relief! Luckily we got the younger get out in an emergency call and he gave him two shots of anti-bs and some painkillers - the difference in two days was amazing! I continued offering him both wet & dry food as well as hay and veg and over the last couple of weeks I have taken away the wet food and he is back to normal! No painkillers for a week and his weight is now up to a positively chunky 746g!

I just wanted to tell you my story to show you what you're doing will help Bailey even when you feel you are near giving up with tiredness and despair! I hope he picks up soon and starts gaining weight again xx
Thanks for sharing your story @Ktbubble007, so glad Scruffy is eating again! That's a really low weight to go down to and here's me worried about Bailey because his lowest weight is 908g! I bet you felt so excited when he started eating. What a lovely success story, it's made me feel a bit more optimistic. Bailey is having a kind of bad day in terms of appetite but his moods okay. I suspected he was a bit constipated and sure enough his impaction has returned. Managed to clear him out and now he's happily pooping again so maybe he'll be hungry at his next feed. Does anyone know if it is safe to give the 1ml of Metacam twice daily as the vet has prescribed? Seems an awful lot to me because the other vet (not exotic) said a guinea pig max dose is 0.75ml. x

Thanks for sharing your story @Ktbubble007, so glad Scruffy is eating again! That's a really low weight to go down to and here's me worried about Bailey because his lowest weight is 908g! I bet you felt so excited when he started eating. What a lovely success story, it's made me feel a bit more optimistic. Bailey is having a kind of bad day in terms of appetite but his moods okay. I suspected he was a bit constipated and sure enough his impaction has returned. Managed to clear him out and now he's happily pooping again so maybe he'll be hungry at his next feed. Does anyone know if it is safe to give the 1ml of Metacam twice daily as the vet has prescribed? Seems an awful lot to me because the other vet (not exotic) said a guinea pig max dose is 0.75ml. x
Is it the dog or the cat metacam you are giving? If it is the dog one then it is a huge dose x

Is it the dog or the cat metacam you are giving? If it is the dog one then it is a huge dose x
It's the dog one yep. I did think it was a massive dose so i've only been giving 0.6ml even though she told me to give 1. She's always really great with him and knows her stuff so not sure why she'd give him that much, specially as he was on a much lower dose during other illnesses in the past when he was 1200g. x

It's the dog one yep. I did think it was a massive dose so i've only been giving 0.6ml even though she told me to give 1. She's always really great with him and knows her stuff so not sure why she'd give him that much, specially as he was on a much lower dose during other illnesses in the past when he was 1200g. x
Simon tends to not go over 0.25ml of dog metacam twice a day. I did have a piggy come to the sanctuary who had been prescribed 1 ml twice a day and he was peeing blood as it was causing damage to his kidneys. I am rather concerned about the amount you have been prescribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back