• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange Crusty stuff on my guinea pigs back and it is making the guinea pigs hair fall out

Khyem Rahman

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So there is a bold patch on the back of my guinea pig and there is brown crustiness and the hair is falling out. I am unsure what it is and I am really worried.
Here is a picture,
If any has an idea what this is please say it would be greatly appreciated.20200708_114010.jpg20200708_114010.jpg20200708_114012.jpg

Attachments

• 20200708_114007.jpg
    20200708_114007.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
I can’t quite make enough out from the photo, but it looks like there may be a skin condition going on. Only a vet is going to be able to diagnose and prescribe the correct strength treatment for any problems

So there is a bold patch on the back of my guinea pig and there is brown crustiness and the hair is falling out. I am unsure what it is and I am really worried.
Here is a picture,
If any has an idea what this is please say it would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 147584View attachment 147584View attachment 147586

Hi!

Which country are you in?

Please have your guinea pig checked for either a fungal skin infection (possibly ringworm) or mange mites. We cannot diagnose from a picture; this requires a hands-on examination. Anyway, you want vet grade products to get on top of it once and for all. Proper hygiene is of utmost importance in the case of ringworm (which can also transmit to humans and other pets) but you need to treat any companions as well in order to prevent them from coming down with whatever it is.
More information in this link here so you will know what to ask your vet for and what you need to do at home:
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

I live in England
Thanks for the advice

Hi!

Could you please add the country and, if you wish, the county or large city to location in your account details (accessed by clicking on your username) to make it appear with every post. We have members and enquiries from literally all over the world and from very different backgrounds, climates, vet and rescue access, not to mention differing brand names (including medical ones). It means that we can tailor any recommendations to what is really relevant and available where you are; and other members may be able to help with local tips. It speeds up the process and allows to personalise any support. Thank you!

Here is our recommended vets locator if you need it: Vet Locator

Back