• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigmad

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think i've posted in here before about my sow Rose, who is prone to UTI and has had numerous xrays for stones. Well on saturday morning she was not herself at all so off we went to my local vets (bc i thought it was another infection) and they basically said she needed to be spayed bc it was ovarian cysts (this was without an xray or even examining her :o ) i ended up having an arguement with the vet and walked out! :x

I got in touch with my rodentologist and explained what had happened, so she ended up in her care until today (she stopped eating and with both me and OH working we had no time to syringe feed her) and she thinks that theres a 99.9% chance that its a bladder stone, (the blood in her urine is off the scale) so we are off to a vets in Broxbourne this afternoon (its going to be a 90 mile round trip) to have her xrayed (they don't knock them out) and if it is a stone an op to sort her out, i've even had to pull a sickie from work. I'm so worried about her :... i'm scared that she will die if she has to have an op (lost 2 piggies during ops)

:0

Just got back from the vets and its good news :) Rose was xrayed and it was a bladder stone and she had it removed, luckily it was in her urethra so all the vet had to do was sedate her and managed to get it out with forceps :... i certainly wouldn't want that done to me :{ she has some septrin and some painkillers and is staying with my rodentologist until friday, i can't tell you how relieved i am, i will get a pic of the stone when i can find my camera lead for the laptop.

The vets i went to were Vets & Pets in Broxbourne which is on the herts/essex border, the vets name is Amir Kashir and he was brilliant, hes actually a trained rodentologist and fully trained vet, definately worth the trip and the money, £65 for an xray the removal of the stone and her meds

Oh this is great, I'm so glad the vet was able to get the stone out, hope she is feeling much better very soon. Can you mail Laura at guinea pig helpline with the vets details, she's composing a vet directory of good gpig vets :)) Let us know how she's doing tomorrow x

I'm sure Amir is on the list he works along with Karen (Close friend of Laura's) I believe.

Thats fabulous news glad your little one is on the mend. xx>>>

I am so glad Rose is feeling a little bit better xx...Amir is our vet , we are so lucky as we only live 2 mins down the road, and not just for guinea pigs, we have a 13 year old shepherd with dementia and he has been amazing with him too, I cant sing his praises high enough !

your so lucky to live 2 mins away! i had an 1 hour 30 min journey there and back and thats using the M1 and M25 mallethead

Just had a text from the rodentologist, Rose is ok, a bit sore and very grumpy @) still being syringe fed hopefully once shes feeling a bit more comfortable she'll being eating everything in sight again :(|)

Thats quite a drive..my sister used to live in Linslade...If you have to come down again (which I hope you dont !) message me and you can come and have a cuppa...just a bit of a break before you drive back xx

That sounded odd...hope you dont have to come down ...for Rosies sake as it will mean she is ill xx

yes that would be a good idea thanks! :))

don't worry i knew what you meant, hopefully Rose will recover ok :)

Just got back from the vets and its good news :) Rose was xrayed and it was a bladder stone and she had it removed, luckily it was in her urethra so all the vet had to do was sedate her and managed to get it out with forceps :... i certainly wouldn't want that done to me :{ she has some septrin and some painkillers and is staying with my rodentologist until friday, i can't tell you how relieved i am, i will get a pic of the stone when i can find my camera lead for the laptop.

The vets i went to were Vets & Pets in Broxbourne which is on the herts/essex border, the vets name is Amir Kashir and he was brilliant, hes actually a trained rodentologist and fully trained vet, definately worth the trip and the money, £65 for an xray the removal of the stone and her meds

That's where I go, and it's only 10 minutes from me, it's a brilliant vets- Amir did Barney's bladder stone in August, and was so nice when Barney had to get put down on Sunday as well. Cannot recommend them enough

Flash...whereabouts are you ?...I am just near the crossroads at Nazeing.

Good news, Rose can come home tomorrow, shes now eating for herself, she is still in a bit of discomfort but will keep her on metacam until monday

Aww thats great news...bet you cant wait to get her home xx

Rose is now home but had her down to my local vet (not the ones who wanted to spay her! :x ) this morning as the rodentologist had noticed she was a bit smelly around her bits and thought she could possibly have a UTI (which I'm told is common after having a stone out?) so i saw a new vet and he prescribed her septrin (before baytril, which is a refreshing change!) 0.5ml twice a day for 10 days and told me to come back for some more if it hasn't cleared up, also to make sure she has probiotic aswell (most vets in my experience don't tell people this)

Rose is happily digging around in a huge pile of hay as i type, she seems so much happier her coat looks shiny again and her eyes look alot brighter

:(|)

finally....a picture of Roses Bladder stone

SAM_0921.jpg

Wow - and he got that out with forceps? Ooohh ouch. Sounds like you have found yourself a great vet there.

Suzy x

Yeah, when the vet brought it out to show me i couldn't believe it @) no wonder she was grumpy for a week afterwards :x @)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back