• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Stroking a Guinea pig

Sxophiee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there, I have two 10 week old guinea pigs.
One of them has gotten to the point where they are both very comfortable with hand feeding, and will even let me come up to them and they don’t get frightened or anything like that.
I was just wondering what the best way was to introduce petting?
Thanks!

:agr:the way I did it was letting it sniff my hand first and let it see your hand and do a couple pets and see how it responds and keep doing that until she/he is comfortable with petting :D:tu:

My piggies were very jumpy so I started having a few pea flakes in my hand and gave them a gentle nose stroke, I did this for weeks and progressed to gentle nose strokes that went on to the top of the head with a few vrry gentle ears rubs. I can now give Rose full body strokes from nose to her back with no treats. Rosie is nearly there but I think she just doesn’t like it as much and only does it because she sees Rose getting treats. The whole process has taken since the summer. Patience Padawan!

It took about 6 months for my Pickle to stop running away every time I went to pet her, so it really is just time and patience!

My guinea pigs have pretty much always let me speak to them quite easily. You could try to lure them into your lap during floor time, then stroke then very gently

I’ve always found little treats whenever you engage with them the best way to tame any animal. Be very slow with any movement you make and talk in a quiet soothing voice helps too.

Back