• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Struggling to eat before and after dental work

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so very sorry to read this. I’ve been following quietly and hoping for you. Huge hugs xx

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Sleep tight Jake.
You did everything possible to make him well, I know it's awful & expensive, but an autopsy may show the problem. Then you will have a head start on any other similar problem.
Don't feel guilty you have been amazing all the way through, & given the best of care.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Oh no, I’m so sorry that Jake has died. You did absolutely everything you could have done for him, he will have known that x
Sleep tight little man x

cwlight

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sleep tight Jake.
You did everything possible to make him well, I know it's awful & expensive, but an autopsy may show the problem. Then you will have a head start on any other similar problem.
Don't feel guilty you have been amazing all the way through, & given the best of care.
The only guilt I feel is, ironically, that I allowed myself to be persuaded to increase his dose of Marbocyl, when my 'gut' told me it was not agreeing with him ; I'm 100% certain that he died this soon because his body found it toxic for some reason ; and, yes, the recent weight gain was almost certainly due to fluid build-up, which we should have thought of (my wife Ros rescues hedgehogs), so that's another big minus for me.
However, there were no other treatments available as far as anyone knew (vets ; forum members) that would get to the root of this problem and solve it ; so a big plus for all of us was that I think it was only because of the good advice here, re: syringe feeding etc, that we were able to keep him going for a full 3 weeks longer than would otherwise have been the case.
There will be no autopsy : Jake was actually my grand-daughter's guinea-pig (she's been with him and the others this morning), and we will bury him in the garden (with many other pets over the last 36 years ...) in due course.
Thanks to everyone for their help and good wishes.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Please try not to feel guilty, I know it’s hard and I know I do a lot too after these kind of horrible times (still do sometimes). You were trying to help him by trying new meds and he was obviously very poorly. It may not have been the meds, just him choosing not to fight anymore.
You gave him a great life and fought hard for him.
It helped me a lot when I lost my Rupert recently to post in the Rainbow Bridge section on the forum, writing down how lovely he was and sharing pictures with everyone.

Hope you and your family, and the piggies, are all ok xx
Sleep tight little gorgeous Jake xx

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score