• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sudden piggy death tonight :(

petsfurrypaws

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Tonight I went to go give the pigs their evening veggies when I got this bad feeling, only one came out to eat. I found my other lying under a hidey, when I lifted it she tried to run but she was limping pretty badly on one side, and couldn’t really move much at all. She just seemed desperate to get into the corner of the cage, which I understand is a bad sign?

I picked her up and checked her over, and I noticed she was wheezing/coughing as well. I then wrapped her in a warm blanket, by this point she was getting stiller and eventually passed a few minutes later before I could even call the vets :((

I’m so upset because I’m pretty sure me picking her up caused her premature death! She was fine this morning, eating grass outside. She was 6.

Xarea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
OMG, that's horrible, and I feel so sorry for you. I lost a guinea because of a resportory illness. I cried so hard. I hope you have some support. And no you did nothing to cause that death if anything you were giving comfort in those last minutes. Look at it is you gave your angel the one thing she needed most, love comfort and serenity. I will pray for you

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I am so very sorry for your loss :( but please rest assured that you did nothing wrong. It sounds like she was already on the way to the bridge when you found her and there is nothing that even a vet could do.
Please be kind to yourself as you grieve xx

petsfurrypaws

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you guys, do you have any idea what it could have been? Want to make sure it’s not contagious. Other pig seems ok today, eating as usual but I think she feels it

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss. Unfortunately the only way you would get an idea of the cause would be to have the vet do an autopsy. Anything we think would just be a guess. I hope your other piggies are taking it well. Take care of yourself.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss - it's hard when it happens so suddenly.
You picking her up did not cause her death.

I lost a piggy who was fine one moment, a couple of hours later was clearly very ill and dies while I was phoning the vet for an emergency appointment.
We always wonder " what if...."
This is a normal part of grieving.

It would be a good idea to get the others checked out to be safe.

Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! For what it's worth, the last two elderly pigs I lost passed pretty similarly... seemingly fine to passing away really quickly, in less than a day. Unfortunately, it's impossible to say for sure the cause. Keep an eye on your other piggie for any signs of illness, but this may well have been age or organ-failure related instead of anything contagious. ((HUGS)) to you!

petsfurrypaws

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you all, honestly you’ve made me feel better about this :) we buried her this morning, other piggie was very reluctant to let her go.

I hate to have to think about this but would it be better to rehome my other piggy so that she can find a cage mate? She currently lives in the shed, but I’m thinking of moving her indoors. I’m off to university in a few weeks, so there’s pretty much no way I can get another. Right now she’s doingokay (eating,running up to greet me,but a little subdued). I would hate to see her go, but would do it if it means she’s happy.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
What a difficult decision you have to make.
It’s lovely to hear you considering your bereaved piggy’s needs while your own grief is so raw.

Why not consider the options, make a decision and then live with it for a few days.
If you still feel comfortable then it’s the right decision for you.
If not then consider another option and see how that feels after a few days.