• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Suggestions for something better than sawdust

Terri Jones

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a single guinea pig who had to be separated from his tribe due to his constant bullying. I took him in and I have had him in a puppy cage on the living room floor for several months. In the base of his cage is shavings and on top of that, he loves tons of hay which he loves to burrow in. Because I am constantly hoovering sawdust off the lounge floor, I wondered if there was anything else that's absorbent but less invasive, that I could use instead of the sawdust? I did try some of the compressed white soft paper pieces you can get off Amazon but they went everywhere too and it's pretty expensive when you have to fill the floor of a 4' x 3' cage. Thanks for any suggestions :-)

Mine live in my shed so I use disposable bedding topped with hay - my disposable bedding of choice is Megazorb. However, unless your cage has high sides, then any disposable bedding is going to fall out, but even with high sides, finding bedding everywhere is still going to happen.

Does he live with another guinea pig?

Mine live in my shed so I use disposable bedding topped with hay - my disposable bedding of choice is Megazorb. However, unless your cage has high sides, then any disposable bedding is going to fall out, but even with high sides, finding bedding everywhere is still going to happen.

Does he live with another guinea pig?
No - had to be separated from his previous owners guinea pigs due to his constant bullying.

No - had to be separated from his previous owners guinea pigs due to his constant bullying.

That’s a shame he didn’t get on with the other piggies (although, if he was being kept with more than one other boar, then that explains why there was a bonding fail), but he doesn’t need to be kept single now. His incompatibility was with those particular piggies, not every piggy. Do look into finding him a character compatible friend with the help of a rescue centre - either another boar, or consider having him neutered (and once six weeks post neuter safe) then finding him a sow friend.

Regarding the bedding, the alternative is to move to fleece bedding. However, as he likes lots of hay to burrow into, then having an area still with lots of hay would be important for him, so you would will need something absorbent under that - whether it’s a disposable bedding, or disposable or washable puppy pads

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

I use puppy pads topped with hay, I’ve used wood shavings etc and it’s messy, wood pellets work but still prefer puppy pads, mine are on fleece bedding with waterproof layer, also puppy pads under those
Hope you find what works for you

Ive tried loads of bedding over the years

My top pick for disposable bedding would be fitch (I don't use it anymore though as they kept rising price)

Custom liners are probaly the best option for fleece type bedding but I use bath mats and I think there a adeqaute alternative if you can't afford custom liners

Have you thought of fleece? Or a mix? I’m trying it out and so far, I think I’ve got something that works well for me. Here’s a couple of photos -

So I’ve zoned off dark areas where they inevitably spend most time and hence most peeing and pooping! In there I use puppy pads with Carefresh and then soft bedding hay, then there’s a hedge of Timothy hay to eat - so that’s inside what I call their bedrooms. Then outside of that is a fleece liner. I made them myself, but if you don’t sew you can e buy them. I think I’m happy with a mix. The fleece lasted a week and could have lasted longer and just needs sweeping every day. The bedrooms actually lasted a week too, with one bedding top up and daily feeding hay. I’m liking my system!

Attachments

• E3FA5CE6-46BE-4456-986C-258B345D1B75.jpeg
    E3FA5CE6-46BE-4456-986C-258B345D1B75.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 02D706F1-D152-43D9-93F9-4B71CDF86E67.jpeg
    02D706F1-D152-43D9-93F9-4B71CDF86E67.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 8
  • AFFFDE1C-AACC-456E-BCB8-384C34833A89.jpeg
    AFFFDE1C-AACC-456E-BCB8-384C34833A89.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 8
  • B1CB197B-1DFD-4C75-A2F3-A846CE4535DF.jpeg
    B1CB197B-1DFD-4C75-A2F3-A846CE4535DF.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 8
Fleece liners definitely work the best in my opinion, and although it is expensive to get them upfront you save A TON of money from not having to buy the paper/wood shavings anymore

I’m looking into fleece bedding with a waterproof layer. I’ve just purchased some c and c - do I need something under the fleece lining to protect the surface beneath it?

I’m looking into fleece bedding with a waterproof layer. I’ve just purchased some c and c - do I need something under the fleece lining to protect the surface beneath it?
Yes you need an absorbant layer underneath. You could you either disposable puppy pads but I use these washable puppy pads and have done for years. You can cut them to fit your set up with no detriment to absorbency.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Inconti-...+puppy+pads+90cms+x+70+cms,aps,82&sr=8-7&th=1

You say a waterproof layer? Do you mean an absorbent layer rather than waterproof?
Some actual cage liners are a layer of fleece, layer of absorbent and then layer of fleece. With those you would need a waterproof layer to protect the surface underneath.
Some are made with. waterproof bottom layer already stitched on at bottom, then absorbent layer, then fleece top layer. With those technically you wouldn’t need something to protect the surface underneath but also those kinds of liners with waterproof backing already stitched on can be found to be more smelly.
The alternative is put a layer of puppy pads, then lay a single layer fleece blanket on top. You would want to put something underneath the puppy pads to make sure anything that may escape where the pads meet doesn’t get to the floor

Back