• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Supported accommodation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anybody here live in supported accommodation? I might be going there soon but I don't know if I really want to, I'm scared about leaving home and I won't be able to take my pigs. :0

my ex lived in supported acc, it was a big townhouse with 6 bedrooms, the family were really nice and helped him a lot, he had his own room and could come and go whenever he wanted, they helped him with things like applying for benefits and general life stuff, he had meals cooked for him if he wanted them, he really enjoyed it there, there were other people in the same situation there and he made some friends, but he didn't have to spend time with them if he didn't want to. He found it quite a helpfull experience i think, x

I personally haven't lived in supported accommodation but I work in a Housing Association and we have supported accommodation, however, it is mostly supported by our local Council.

The general feedback that I have had is that they are really good and the staff are onhand to offer any advice/help you with day to day things......and help prepare you for having your own home.

The ones we have all have their own individual rooms with their own bathrooms (but this will be different from place to place), so you can be by yourself if you want but there is a communal kitchen and communal areas if you want to meet up with the others for company.

Sadly, you definitely won't be allowed to take any animals with you and naturally you are going to be frightened about leaving your home for a new venture but I think it's a great opportunity for you.......and there will always be support there for you. And you never know, you might make some new friends.

I have never even heard of it, whats it all about?? If you dont mind telling that is?

Claire W i LOVE your piccy x

I am afraid I can not advise as I have never been in the situation but I just wanted to wish you lots of luck if you do move in to supported accommodation. I am sure you will make lot of new friends and remember that we are all here to support you also. xx

I have never even heard of it, whats it all about?? If you dont mind telling that is?

Claire W i LOVE your piccy x

I don't mind telling, I have revealed far worse things over the last few months lol. :))
Basically it is where people with mental health problems can live with support, like somebody before me said you get your own bedroom but other areas are communal. At the moment I don't know much more than that but we have a meeting with my keyworker tomorrow about it so hopefully he will give me more info before I make a decision.
I am warming up to the idea gradually, I think the thing that put me off to begin with was that it all seemed a bit "hospitally".

i think it will be good to give you a bit of independence without feeling like youre out in the big world by yourself

I am warming up to the idea gradually, I think the thing that put me off to begin with was that it all seemed a bit "hospitally".

The ones we have are not 'hospitally' - they are set up to be like a home, except you have your own room but with communal areas. It's a fantastic way to help support you to live an independent life - you can come and go as you please, and live your life. But they are there to help support with you with benefits etc and give you the confidence/support for the day that you have your very own home.

I wish you lots of good luck and hope all goes well.

As well as helping people with mental health, they are also set up to help youngsters who are in care homes but have now reached the age where they have to leave - so to help give them basic assistance/information in how to maintain a home etc they move into supported accommodation. Then eventually, they will be given their very own home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back