• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Swiss Guinea Pig Pair Law

When it comes to small animal welfare, the Swiss are way ahead of most other places.

It is also almost impossible for anyone who isn't a licensed breeder to obtain an un-neutered male.
All males being sold to the general public are neutered prior to sexual maturity (at around 3 weeks old), so no accidental litters or problems if pet shop employees mis-sex guinea pigs.
Rescue guinea pigs are rare and adoption criteria are strict.
I recently applied to adopt a 4 year old male and was turend down becasue my 7 x 2 C&C cage is far too small for a pair of guinea pigs :yikes:

It's Illegal To Own One Guinea Pig In Switzerland Because They Get Lonely

Not sure if this is recent news but o thought I’d share for interest

Sam x
I feel awful as one of my guinea pigs died yesterday at1 1/2 due to an unexpected illness🙀 and I have one still who all being well will live for at least another 3 years 🤞 me and my family are in no way ready to get another one and many never will be. Any advise on how to keep my Guinean pig happy would be greatly appreciated 💞

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost your Guinea - unfortunately I can’t help because I’m a novice to guinea pig ownership. Maybe try another part of the forum - there is a bereavement thread x

I feel awful as one of my guinea pigs died yesterday at1 1/2 due to an unexpected illness🙀 and I have one still who all being well will live for at least another 3 years 🤞 me and my family are in no way ready to get another one and many never will be. Any advise on how to keep my Guinean pig happy would be greatly appreciated 💞
Open a new thread on this and you'll get answers.

When it comes to small animal welfare, the Swiss are way ahead of most other places.

It is also almost impossible for anyone who isn't a licensed breeder to obtain an un-neutered male.
All males being sold to the general public are neutered prior to sexual maturity (at around 3 weeks old), so no accidental litters or problems if pet shop employees mis-sex guinea pigs.
Rescue guinea pigs are rare and adoption criteria are strict.
I recently applied to adopt a 4 year old male and was turend down becasue my 7 x 2 C&C cage is far too small for a pair of guinea pigs :yikes:
Wow, thank you for sharing the information. It is really interesting.

Back