• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Switch-EZ

Ashlena

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have four pigs...they were originally all together but I noticed some major bulling (from Derp to Tut tut) so we had to break it up into pairs (Benny and Tut tut) (Derp and Dink) I had enough space to house the four but not enough for two separated larger cages. The only thing I though of to do was build a second story...however space permitted it’s about half the size of the bottom. To make everything fair we do switches every morning...the top boys switch with the bottom (the larger space). I was thinking that it may actually be a positive thing in terms of how guinea pigs like to explore around, so everyday it’s kind of a “new” place. Is this ok?

Hi, I have four pigs...they were originally all together but I noticed some major bulling (from Derp to Tut tut) so we had to break it up into pairs (Benny and Tut tut) (Derp and Dink) I had enough space to house the four but not enough for two separated larger cages. The only thing I though of to do was build a second story...however space permitted it’s about half the size of the bottom. To make everything fair we do switches every morning...the top boys switch with the bottom (the larger space). I was thinking that it may actually be a positive thing in terms of how guinea pigs like to explore around, so everyday it’s kind of a “new” place. Is this ok?

Honestly, no. Every time they move home they have to resettle the bonding, and moving them about so often doesn't give them a chance to get comfortable with each other and their surroundings.
What size would the top cage be? Because that's the important part. If the top cage would be big enough to hold two guinea pigs (and if boars, obviously sized appropriately for them because they will need more space) then I would just let one pair have the top and one have the bottom. If the top isn't going to be big enough then it isn't really a workable plan.

The two pairs stay together, they are never like mixed and matched Tut Tut (the youngest) is housed with Benny (named after my grandfather because my grandparents got me him) and Derp and Dink. Derp and Dink are inseparable, but I don’t think Benny and Tut tut are, they don’t really fight or anything but they kind of do there own thing.
I am trying to rearrange things for them now, since my idea wasn’t good. I just thought that since they liked exploring etc, they would be ok in there pairs to be moved to a different area. I have really limited room, but I would do anything thing for my boys, including taking my bed out of the room and sleeping on the floor if need be. They are my kids and all I have. They are so spoiled and they absolutely my life. I have depression and stuff and I stay alive sometimes for their soul purpose. I love my boys more than anything and I just want them to be happy. I try so hard to make sure they are happy and not bored, or feel any of the negative things I’ve ever felt. I am a gay girl living in a super freaking small town, living with my grandparents, and probably going to never be with anyone/ have actuall children (sorry if that is TMI). When I first got guinea pigs I didn’t understand what they actully needed...I had a pig named Winston and
He was housed alone in a small cage, and I think he got mites and died. I was a kid and didnt understand what I know now, and I will never forgive myself for him...and that is how I have vowed to take care of the boys I have now.
Again, I’m sorry for the heaviness/personalness of this post, but without my boys I would have checked out of this life already. I obsess over their happiness....I don’t ever want them to feel the sad and bad things I have in my life. Sometimes I just don’t know what to do.

Back