1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swollen Butt

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by NKgirl2002, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Critter

Critter Moderator
    Staff Member

Ultimately it appears then to be your parents decision.
    I would like to ask everyone to please calm down a little here and appreciate the fact that @NKgirl2002 is trying to get this sorted out by coming on here for advice. In an ideal world we would all have access to a vet a short distance away and would equally have access to transport 24/7, and have the spare cash at our disposal to sort emergencies, and be able to drop everything and go. I know for a fact that there are members of this forum who must rely on their parents to get them to vets and to pay the initial cost. I would like you all to imagine please of being in the position of having to rely on someone else, and that person cannot or will not help you out.

@NKgirl2002 I am assuming by the timing of your posts that you are not from the UK. If you were it is highly likely that you could get you friend's piggy to the vet by taxi for around £10-£20 in most cases, even if it's not the best of vets. We are so built-up in most places in the UK that there's usually one not too far away. When we see an animal in a state of pain and stress who clearly requires prompt vet treatment it is upsetting for us and it's all too easy to judge people for not doing so, especially as, like I say, a visit to the vet is usually easier for us.

I am guessing you are from the USA. If you would like to give us your approximate location we should be able to look up your nearest recommended vet from where you live or from where your friend lives if it comes to that.
    However it seems you are now in a tricky situation. That is a nasty infection. Your friend's piggy really does need to be seen sooner than Tuesday, but I actually do appreciate that it may be very difficult to achieve this with no access to transport.
    In my own mind all sorts of solutions are running through, such as 'call a vet to make a home visit', and 'can't your mother take your sister with you to the vets' but ultimately we are left guessing at your circumstances here and only you know the reality.

#21 Critter, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    NKgirl2002, kenken123, Lorcan and 2 others like this.
  2. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

:agr:

The only thing I would add is ...... have you informed this Guinea Pigs owner ? I think they should know what you have spotted.

VickiA likes this.
  3. Critter

Critter Moderator
    Staff Member

@NKgirl2002 I appreciate that you have come on here to ask what you can do for the piggy before he is able to be seen by a vet.
    Sometimes there's actually not much and a vet visit is by far the best and often only solution. The fact that he is anti-biotics is good, but clearly something else must be done.
    This is why people are urging you to take him to the vet. I think there has been some confusion too as in the first post you stated that it was your piggy, and that it was you who were too busy to go to the vets. Sometimes all of us can be guilty of not giving the whole story, especially when we don't think at the times that these other details would be relevant to the question that we are first asking, but I can also appreciate that the answers you have been given are based on YOU having full responsibility for that pig, because of your initial posts.

There can be no doubt that the sooner he can see the vet the better his outcome is likely to be. Infections, if they get in to the blood stream, can actually be fatal. The later a problem is left, the worse it can become and the more likely there is of complications, and even if those things do not happen the piggy is left in pain for longer than he should be. That is the reality here, and that is why you have had some strong responses.

However, if that really isn't possible for you to do then as I said, both yourself and that piggy are left in a bad situation and it really isn't helpful for anyone to blame you for circumstances beyond your control. In this particular instance I'm not going to pretend that things will definitely be OK to be left until Tuesday, but if you really are not in control of the decisions about the vets then you shouldn't be made to feel bad.

We are happy to help find solutions in order to help other people to think of ways to get their pets to the vets, but ultimately we must remember that this just isn't possible in some cases and would like to ask other people to appreciate this sad fact. We are also here to give advise on how best to help piggies before, between and after vets visits.

#23 Critter, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:09 AM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Squeakz and eileen like this.
  4. Tinkoz

Forum Donator 2015/16

I'm really sorry to hear you are in this position you oversaly care or you would not be on here asking for advice and if the owner has not given permission to go to the vets then please don't blame yourself, can i ask what product are you using to clean the area? If you can get your hands on some Hibi scrub that would be the ideal thing to use but there are other safe products out there if your unable to get any products then please use boiled cool water as the boiling process will help to stop cross infection if it is an infection. I don't suppose the owner left you with any painkiller like metacam? If they did if you can let us know the weight of the pig we can give you advice on a safe dose to at least help with his pain till the owner can take him to the vets, I really wish you all the best and hope you & the piggy are ok please let us know how you get on x

Critter likes this.
  5. flowerfairy

flowerfairy Adult Guinea Pig

Hope the guinea pig is ok today and that the owner is able to get them to the vet asap.

6. NKgirl2002

NKgirl2002 Junior Guinea Pig

I saw the owner today and showed her pictures of the problem and she told me not to worry. That she would take him to the vet herself on Tuesday since I had already taken him once. (PS, the owner is a teacher at my school) I will let everyone know what the vet says. Thanks you to everyone who gave advice.

flowerfairy and Jesse's pigs like this.
  7. NKgirl2002

NKgirl2002 Junior Guinea Pig

Thank you for understanding and telling others to calm down. I do live in the USA in Florida.

8. Critter

Critter Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah. the link that I have for recommended vets for the USA isn't working. @Wiebke ?
    Thanks for the update on the owner's plans. How is the little guy doing?

9. Squeakz

Squeakz Teenage Guinea Pig

It depends where the owner is, she might be vacationing half way across the globe in which case the phone may have been left behind to avoid roaming charges or might be difficult to reach due to time zone constraints.

10. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Critter likes this.