• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Swollen Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
:^Morning everyone,Just a bit of advice please,:^-
I'm taking Allergy relief tablets,one a day as I'm allergic to my piggies or the hay & straw?. This last few days my eyes have been really swollen and sore,i know its to do with my piggies or their bedding and dont know what else to do.I dont want to give up my piggies as i love them too muchx) their part of the family.Can anyone suggest what else i can do to stop my eyes being so sore & swollen?Thanks:(

I would recommend seeing a GP and having tests done.

I take a combination if piritize tablets and beconase spray (which also helps against fur/dust allergies) which has been oked by my gp, as I am a hay fever sufferer (but thankfully NOT allergic to guinea pigs). Both medications are freely available in supermarkets.

Thanks alot,i think i will book to see the doc,ive put vaseline around them at the moment as they are so sore,they almost look chaped,sue,x

Thanks alot,i think i will book to see the doc,ive put vaseline around them at the moment as they are so sore,they almost look chaped,sue,x

I would recommend seeing a GP and having tests done.

I take a combination if piritize tablets and beconase spray (which also helps against fur/dust allergies) which has been oked by my gp, as I am a hay fever sufferer (but thankfully NOT allergic to guinea pigs). Both medications are freely available in supermarkets.

I have the spray aswell but thankfully it's the bedding that affects me & it's mainly when I'm cleaning the piggies out.

Yeh i think its the bedding as well,the straw & hay,i went to the pharmacy today & he said he could'nt help so going to the docs next week,thanks for your reply,its like a GHOST town around here,xx

Yeh i think its the bedding as well,the straw & hay,i went to the pharmacy today & he said he could'nt help so going to the docs next week,thanks for your reply,its like a GHOST town around here,xx

which hayfever tablets to you take? how long have you been taking them for?

I take one a day for allergies,just normal ones,the others can make you drowsey,just got up this morning and my eyes are so swollen right in thr cornners,xsue thanks

i know there are two types of anti histamine tablets the most common is citrizine hydrochloride and the other one is loratine. check the box :)

if you using one try swapping to the other one if you havent taken it before it may be more effective :)

sometimes when my eyes are sore i take anti histamine eye drops

You can get them out of any chemist or asda's

You can also put these drops in your eyes and take the tablets as well.

The eye drops really sooth the eyes

Your eyes are more swollen in the morning because fluid collects there when you lie down. Don't use vaseline or anything else around your eyes - it's too heavy for night. Vaseline itself can make your eyes swell. It's fine to dab a little on during the day, but you must make sure you wipe it off before you go to bed. You can get hydracortisone cream over the counter but a lot of GPs reccomend not using it on the eye area. Having suffered from eye problems for years I have learned a few tips. I use the Boots Expert Sensitive Cleansing Wipes on my face, and my eyes, which are nice and soft and don't irritate the area. Whatever you use to wash your face with, make sure you really, really rinse it off at night using clean tepid water. Any soap residue can make your eyes swell worse. Your GP might prescribe a nasal spray. It may sound silly to think it could help your eyes, but mine really helps, as the sinuses in your eyes/nose area are all connected. I use a low percentage hydracortisone cream on my eyes when the skin starts to break down. You can get some of the eye refreshing drops over the counter, anything with the herb eyebright I think it's called, will really help. Also the Optrex Eye Bath is brilliant for cleaning your eyes thoroughly, if pollen or anything else is irritating the conjunctivi it will clean it and soothe it.

Thanks Tracy,thats really helpful.I'm going shopping today so I'm going to get some bits like you've said,sue,x

I had exactly the same problem, I wore latex gloves and it seemed to help. It was definately the piggies I was allergic too as it was only when they had cuddles that it happened. I had them in my bedroom so knew it wasn't the hay.

I also took an allergy relief tablet before bathing them but the gloves definately worked.

Horrible problem to have I know but like you say, you could never get rid of them because there are always steps you can take to help.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back