• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swollen Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One of my new piggies, Blizz, appears to have a swollen foot on his hind-leg. I've only had him for a little over a week and I'm not sure when this developed. There doesn't appear to be any cuts or injuries other than the swelling. Any idea what this could be. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it changes. If it gets any worse I'll be taking him to the local vet on my next day off. But any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've not seen you around yet (I tend to be a hermit hiding out in this part of the forum!) so first of all, welcome to the forum.

Would you be able to post a photo of his swollen foot, so members can see what kind of swelling you mean? Is he walking normally? Are there any signs of pain when you gently feel the leg (from hip down to toes)?

Reaction score
I'll try and get a photo of it but he's really wriggly in general. It seems to be mainly on the outside of the foot. His leg is fine and he doesn't seem to be in any pain with the swelling. He's in good health apart from that and is walking normally. Him and his cagemate Dart are currently zipping around the hutch behind me.

Reaction score
This is the best shot I can get of his foot, he doesn't like to sit still :P

IMAG0173.jpg

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, I can see what you mean now, and something there does look amiss. Has he got a toenail on the toe nearest the camera? Sticking my neck out here but could he have ripped his nail off at some point? If a recent injury it could explain the swelling.

Reaction score
He's got a nail, it just seems to be the one toe that's swollen. But he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok, I can see the nail now, and in turn can see how swollen the toe is. Best check with a vet, personally I would at least expect anti-inflammatories (Metacam or Rimadyl).

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to book an appointment. I'm not off work until Tuesday though and they won't let me have the time off to do it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.