• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swollen foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Archie has a swelling on the underneath of his foot. He has a scabby bit there too but I don't know what he's done to it. It doesn't bother him, but I wonder if his claws were too long and have scraped it. I have cut them short now, but don't know what to do with his foot. I've tried squeezing and no pus came out so I don't think its an infection, it's just swollen.
Any ideas?

On the plus side...Freya's wound has healed nicely she only has a tiny scab there now which will hopefully clear up completely in the next couple of days :)

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I did wonder whether it could be bumblefoot or not. It does look a bit like that. I'll get a pic in a sec and put it up. Thanks for the link :).

Reaction score
go to your vet and ask for a bottle of chlorhexidine, ive just got one for £2.50! Also i heard the ointment on georgeous guineas is good ive not used it myself though.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is the best pic I could get with him wriggling about :))

DSCF2444.jpg

It does look quite like bumblefoot. Maybe a trip to the vets is in order rolleyes

Reaction score
doesnt look to bad but yes looks like bumblefoot! ive been using diluted chlorhexidine on bilbo twice a day since sat and his is alot better already and his was quite bad!

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
To be honest it doesn;t look swollen or reflect a classic bumblefoot case...but you are a very observant piggie slave and it could be that you have picked this up right at the start....if so, then well done!

It also doesn;t look like his nails have caused it.

My boys sometimes give me a fright with their paws but it normally turns out to be dried on poo (which can be very difficult to get off certain boar's paws sometimes ...mentioning no names of course Maple ;) )....The only piggie I had with bumblefoot was Muffin, a heart pig, and her paws were definitely swollen, scabbed and red with classic signs.

I would suggest you try bathing your wriggly man's paw in warm salt water.....if it doesn;t come off leaving whole skin underneath with no redness then yes, a vets trip might be in order I think.

HTH
x

PS There is nothing wrong with using chlorohexidine/hibiscrub to bathe wounds (at 2% concentration) - I use this myself, recommend it to others but haven;t done so in your case because of the implications in view of (a possible early) suspected case of bumblefoot.

If, and ONLY if, your vet would want to do a bacterial culture to identify the organism and it;s anitbiotic sensitivity, then be advised that using antibacterials such as chlorhexidine etc before the culture is taken could interfere/negate the test result and you will then need to allow at least 7-10 days without any more antibacterial chemical exposure before you can get another test done that produces meaningful results.

Hope the forum doesn;t mind my posting this as its not criticising anyone's suggestions......Just didn;t want Shellza to end up wasting money for want of a bit of additional info before she decides on her course of action. Personally I would opt to use salt water today prior to ringing the vet tomorrow and discussing it with them over the phone. They might not want to take a culture ...but more probably recommend hibiscrub as a first option. Just better to check methinks. x

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to get some tomorrow.

I think it may have been from the hay. I've found some sharp, thorny bits in it :{ Not good. There's a vet at the end of my road though so I'll go there tomorrow and get some chlorhexidine.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I posted that before I saw your post Pebble. The paw is definitely swollen compared to his other pad, but it doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort. I will try soaking it in salt water before I do anything else and see what happens.

Thank you both for your advice. x

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I soaked Archies foot today, the scab came of, but it did leave a red mark. There was no obvious injury and no pus when squeezed but he did seem a bit uncomfortable. Do you think this needs treating?
x

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
go to your vet and ask for a bottle of chlorhexidine, ive just got one for £2.50! Also i heard the ointment on georgeous guineas is good ive not used it myself though.

Chlorhexidine is just to help the wound not to get infected, but once it starts to heal and the scab's formed, it's best to keep it dry. Get a cream from Gorgeous guineas, it's helped us a lot. http://www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk/p/product/0901049832-FM+Ointment+-+50gm+Pot:+MADE+TO+ORDER/

I went to my local pharmacy to get Chlorhexidine once as all of them stock it, they asked me what I need it for (it's a legal requirement). Of course, it was to cleanse hands for my husband and I :) no pharmacy is allowed to sell the most innocent items if they know it is for a pet

Status
Not open for further replies.