syphilis in rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Reaction score
Hi I know that most of you own gps but I was wondering if any one knows anything about rabbits with syphilis. And what treatment is best for the rabbit.

Mary

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Mary,
I've only read bits, it doesn't sound pleasant; crusty sores that affect genitalia and noses, i think it's treated with antibiotics from a vet.

Mary

Reaction score
Niki said:
Hi Mary,
I've only read bits, it doesn't sound pleasant; crusty sores that affect genitalia and noses, i think it's treated with antibiotics from a vet.
Thanks I will take him work today, the only trouble is that too much antibiotics can kill, so its kill or cure. The trouble with rabbits that they are not the the best animal to treat. Will let you know later how he gets on. poor little chap.

Mary

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
My rabbit is on long term antibiotics (Baytril) as he had a severe middle ear infection. He has now been taking them for three months. To start with the antibiotics seemed to upset his gut and he had very loose droppings but since using a sachet of probiotic (bio lapis) each day he has been fine.

hopperhaven

Reaction score
Rabbit syphyllis is easy to get rid of. A course of 3 penicillin injections will sort it out. If you give rabbits probiotics they tolerate the penicillin injections well.

Status
Not open for further replies.