• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

syphilis in rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi I know that most of you own gps but I was wondering if any one knows anything about rabbits with syphilis. And what treatment is best for the rabbit.

Mary

Hi Mary,
I've only read bits, it doesn't sound pleasant; crusty sores that affect genitalia and noses, i think it's treated with antibiotics from a vet.

Niki said:
Hi Mary,
I've only read bits, it doesn't sound pleasant; crusty sores that affect genitalia and noses, i think it's treated with antibiotics from a vet.

Thanks I will take him work today, the only trouble is that too much antibiotics can kill, so its kill or cure. The trouble with rabbits that they are not the the best animal to treat. Will let you know later how he gets on. poor little chap.

Mary

My rabbit is on long term antibiotics (Baytril) as he had a severe middle ear infection. He has now been taking them for three months. To start with the antibiotics seemed to upset his gut and he had very loose droppings but since using a sachet of probiotic (bio lapis) each day he has been fine.

Rabbit syphyllis is easy to get rid of. A course of 3 penicillin injections will sort it out. If you give rabbits probiotics they tolerate the penicillin injections well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back