• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Syringe Feeding Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please help. My poor Charlie went to the vets wednesday for suspected ringworm - however, the vet gave him an antibiotic as well. Charlie has had a bad reaction to the antibiotic and has had the runs and been really sleepy (he was ok at first but went down hill friday). I took him back to the vets this morning and have been given food, prebiotics and some rehydration stuff to give him.

I'm sposed to syringe feed him this food - which I try to do every few hours but he just spits most of it out, or wont swallow so it just squirts out the other side of his lips! I'm so worried he's not getting enough food and water to get the 'will to live' back. How can I try to get more food/water in him? I can't bear to see him slipping away :(

I'm sorry to hear that Charlie is poorly. Syringe feeding can be tricky.

I would recommend contacting Laura at the guinea pig helpline. She has lots of experience of syringe feeding poorly piggies and has an excellent guide that she can email to you.
07811 806187
[email protected]

I've phoned and emailed - just have to wait now....

I've never seen a piggie look so poorly - I can't bear it.

The profile picture is Charlie - he's got to pull through!

Sending lots of vibes to Charlie, I know just how heartbreaking it is syringing a poorly pig that doesn't want to eat.

Come on Charlie xx

Hope Charlie is okay - syringe feeding can be really difficult. I have to syringe medicine to my piggy every day and sometimes she doesnt want to swallow it ..... she does in the end but I know what you mean .... if anyone has any tips Id like to hear them too.

Healing vibes for Charlie

xx

Well - I've just tried to feed him again - now I feel worried I've forced him to have too much!

I keep telling him how much I love him and he's got to at least try.

Thank you for all your replies - I told him you guys are thinking of him.

Well - I've just tried to feed him again - now I feel worried I've forced him to have too much!

I keep telling him how much I love him and he's got to at least try.

Thank you for all your replies - I told him you guys are thinking of him.

When I was syringe feeding Bette, I would syring 1ml at a time. I found stroking her back firmly encouraged her to chew, I would aim for about 22ml's at one sitting. It took me ages, she really didn't want eat.

So sorry your going through this, it can be very stressfull syringing a pig. Glad you've contacted Laura she is fantastic and extremely knowledgable.

Here is a link to a post of Laura's regarding syringe feeding, about halfway down the page gives you tips on the technique. I haven't tried to towel wrap a piggle described at the top of the page - we just did it by one holding the pig firmly and the other using the syringe.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36533

We used a 1ml syringe and went very slowly. Bits do come out and they get a messy chin. It takes a bit of practice. Hope everything goes ok.

x

Laura has sent me the fact sheet, it's very good - why doesn't the vet give these out?!

I think the worst thing is that he's just refusing to swallow most of it and allowing it to build up in his mouth. He's getting a quarter of what he needs.

He's only two - it's not fair!

I really love him - I don't want him to go already! I guess it's gonna be a long night....

Big hugs. Hang on in there.

Are you syringing some water as well? Sometimes if the food gets a bit cloggy in their mouth, a little water can encourage them to swallow.

I have been syringing him some water - but he's now stopped swallowing it... I am trying this wiggle technique with the syringe but I don't want to choke him!

I don't know... he just doesn't seem interested in fighting, but I am not giving up! We just gotta make the night.

Did I though? I keep worrying that I made it worse by trying to stuff food and water in his lovely little face when he was feeling so awful...

Did I though? I keep worrying that I made it worse by trying to stuff food and water in his lovely little face when he was feeling so awful...

It sounds as if Charlie knew the time had come and whatever you did would have had the same outcome. But you had to try - and I would have too.

Try not to feel bad, you loved Charlie and tried to help and I'm sure we'd all do the same - try to think about the good times,

xx

You tried to save them thats all we can do, sometimes it just isn't ment to be.

Charlie, knew you loved him and you did all you could. Rest well Charlie x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back